• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

I just did the upgrade to LR Classic. When LR Classic opens, it freezes my MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPL

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System: OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Lightroom Version: CC 2015 - apparently now upgraded to LR Classic

Question or Description of Problem:

The conversion/upgrade to LR Classic completed successfully but when LR opened, it was in the Develop module at the last image I worked on yesterday. It immediately froze up the entire system.

I have powered off and restarted the system five times now with more-or-less the same results. The first two times LR asked if I wanted to convert the catalogue again. The first time I said no because I thought it had already done that. It opened the same image as last time and froze up again (not just LR but the entire system).

The second time I said yes to the conversion question and it did the Catalogue conversion again (I guess that means it did not complete it the first time?). I was then able to open LR without it immediately freezing everything up. I thought I had the problem licked!

To give it a test drive I randomly chose a folder from 2016 and browsed the images using the library module. I picked one that I thought could use some tweaking and opened the develop module. The system immediately froze up again. I have tried re-booting two more times with the same result as the first time (same image).

I had planned to wait to "upgrade" until there were more user reports out but I need to process some images and using the existing LR CC seemed to no longer be an option. So I just went ahead and ran the LR Classic upgrade this evening.

Any suggestions? diagnosis?

BTW I came across this website yesterday when I was researching the pros and cons of the new LR options. It looked like a good resource but certainly did not expect to be posting an issue 24 hours later.

EDITED 1:05 AM EST
I happen to have two admin user IDs on my system (a 2008 MAC PRO). I do not remember the details but a second one was created a few years ago but never used.

It just occurred to me to experiment by logging in to my #2 user ID and try firing up LR Classic. Good news - it works! It even appears pretty fast. There was also no existing catalogue under the #2 user ID so there was nothing to convert. I tested LR by reading the images I took today and yesterday from my card reader. I was also able to access images from my regular LR image folders under my usual User ID (the files are shared - I did not try to import them because I understand it can create problems when an image is in two different catalogues).

So the upgraded software clearly works in a fresh environment, i.e. my #2 user ID with no prior LR activity. I am no expert at this but I am wondering if the problem under my regular ID is a disk or memory capacity issue that happens when LR is working with a moderately sized catalogue.

Last edited:
There have been a few odd problems being reported, usually GPU related, your's may be similar. Try resetting your preferences on startup (hold down Shift+Alt/Opt when starting), that should at least get you into the Library module without crashing. If so, go straight to the Preferences>Performance Tab and uncheck the "Use GPU" option to see if that lets you work in Develop.

That worked! I was not able to get Shift+Alt/Opt to work but as part of the startup process, LR goes into a series of automated help screens before opening up the most recent image processed (and until now - crashing the system). I was able to get to the preference tab to switch off the GPU while the help screens were still up. When it opened the first image everything was fine - problem fixed. I have closed out LR a couple of times since then and it restarts without any problem. I also imported about 100 images from my SD card via a card reader and processed them. Everything seems to be normal. On a positive note, I do see some improvement in efficiency in both the import process and the Develop module (when you are using a 2008 era MAC Pro you notice even a modest improvement in speed - even with the software and the catalogue on an SSD).

Really appreciate your help. Now I can concentrate on the ebooks I downloaded yesterday when I joined the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back