I just did the upgrade to LR Classic. When LR Classic opens, it freezes my MAC

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System: OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Lightroom Version: CC 2015 - apparently now upgraded to LR Classic

Question or Description of Problem:

The conversion/upgrade to LR Classic completed successfully but when LR opened, it was in the Develop module at the last image I worked on yesterday. It immediately froze up the entire system.

I have powered off and restarted the system five times now with more-or-less the same results. The first two times LR asked if I wanted to convert the catalogue again. The first time I said no because I thought it had already done that. It opened the same image as last time and froze up again (not just LR but the entire system).

The second time I said yes to the conversion question and it did the Catalogue conversion again (I guess that means it did not complete it the first time?). I was then able to open LR without it immediately freezing everything up. I thought I had the problem licked!

To give it a test drive I randomly chose a folder from 2016 and browsed the images using the library module. I picked one that I thought could use some tweaking and opened the develop module. The system immediately froze up again. I have tried re-booting two more times with the same result as the first time (same image).

I had planned to wait to "upgrade" until there were more user reports out but I need to process some images and using the existing LR CC seemed to no longer be an option. So I just went ahead and ran the LR Classic upgrade this evening.

Any suggestions? diagnosis?

BTW I came across this website yesterday when I was researching the pros and cons of the new LR options. It looked like a good resource but certainly did not expect to be posting an issue 24 hours later.

EDITED 1:05 AM EST
I happen to have two admin user IDs on my system (a 2008 MAC PRO). I do not remember the details but a second one was created a few years ago but never used.

It just occurred to me to experiment by logging in to my #2 user ID and try firing up LR Classic. Good news - it works! It even appears pretty fast. There was also no existing catalogue under the #2 user ID so there was nothing to convert. I tested LR by reading the images I took today and yesterday from my card reader. I was also able to access images from my regular LR image folders under my usual User ID (the files are shared - I did not try to import them because I understand it can create problems when an image is in two different catalogues).

So the upgraded software clearly works in a fresh environment, i.e. my #2 user ID with no prior LR activity. I am no expert at this but I am wondering if the problem under my regular ID is a disk or memory capacity issue that happens when LR is working with a moderately sized catalogue.

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
There have been a few odd problems being reported, usually GPU related, your's may be similar. Try resetting your preferences on startup (hold down Shift+Alt/Opt when starting), that should at least get you into the Library module without crashing. If so, go straight to the Preferences>Performance Tab and uncheck the "Use GPU" option to see if that lets you work in Develop.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
That worked! I was not able to get Shift+Alt/Opt to work but as part of the startup process, LR goes into a series of automated help screens before opening up the most recent image processed (and until now - crashing the system). I was able to get to the preference tab to switch off the GPU while the help screens were still up. When it opened the first image everything was fine - problem fixed. I have closed out LR a couple of times since then and it restarts without any problem. I also imported about 100 images from my SD card via a card reader and processed them. Everything seems to be normal. On a positive note, I do see some improvement in efficiency in both the import process and the Develop module (when you are using a 2008 era MAC Pro you notice even a modest improvement in speed - even with the software and the catalogue on an SSD).

Really appreciate your help. Now I can concentrate on the ebooks I downloaded yesterday when I joined the site.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version