• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

location of user-installed plug-ins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I made the mistake of installing all my plug-ins in the Modules subfolder, and now I can't REMOVE any of them, per the FAQ book, p. 344, for LR 9.0. So I tried to follow this instruction, also on p. 344, to create a different folder for my user-installed plug-ins.

1573966496977.png

However, selecting the Preferences dialog > presets tab does have a Show Lightroom Presets Folder button.

1573966630871.png

When I clicked on the Show Lightroom Develop Presets button, the folder that Lightroom showed me was in the CameraRAW directory:

1573966733515.png

So what do I do to create a folder for my plug-ins and configure Lightroom to find that folder? Lightroom 9.

Phil

Ah yes, those buttons changed slightly when they changed the Develop Presets. I would click the Show All Other Lightroom Presets button instead, to find the Lightroom presets/templates rather than the Camera Raw one. It doesn’t have to be there, it’s just an easy place to remember.

Ah yes, those buttons changed slightly when they changed the Develop Presets. I would click the Show All Other Lightroom Presets button instead, to find the Lightroom presets/templates rather than the Camera Raw one. It doesn’t have to be there, it’s just an easy place to remember.
I followed your directions and created a Plug-ins folder.
1574098756973.png

I couldn't find some button to "Make Default Location for Plug-ins." So I shut down Lightroom, then moved some plug-ins to the new folder using Windows File Explorer. I restarted Lightroom, selected Plug-In Manager, and clicked the Add button. Then I navigated from the Modules folder to my new Plug-Ins folder and selected various plug-in folders. It all just worked, and it sounds more complicated than it really was.

Phil

My own preference (recommendation) is to install plugins elsewhere, and I prefer a Dropbox folder. That' s because:
  • putting plugins in Modules makes them load automatically
  • putting them in the presets/templates area occasionally causes permission problems especially updating some plugins on Mac
  • on Dropbox you update a plugin once for all computers

My own preference (recommendation) is to install plugins elsewhere, and I prefer a Dropbox folder. That' s because:
  • putting plugins in Modules makes them load automatically
  • putting them in the presets/templates area occasionally causes permission problems especially updating some plugins on Mac
  • on Dropbox you update a plugin once for all computers
John,

I don't like to use DropBox because I sometimes work on Lightroom on planes and other places where I don't have internet access.

I discovered that if I use Goodsync to synchronize my C:\Users\phil\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom (on Windows) between desktop and laptop, any changes I made on to plug-ins on one system are automatically carried over to the other system.

Why would you not want plug-ins to load automatically?

Phil

I don't like to use DropBox because I sometimes work on Lightroom on planes and other places where I don't have internet access.
You do not understand how Dropbox works. Dropbox creates a local 'Dropbox' folder. Everything you have in that folder is synched with the Dropbox servers, but is also locally available. Even when there is no internet connection. I use Dropbox for my plugins, presets, and other stuff I like to sync between my desktop and my laptop computer.

You do not understand how Dropbox works. Dropbox creates a local 'Dropbox' folder. Everything you have in that folder is synched with the Dropbox servers, but is also locally available. Even when there is no internet connection. I use Dropbox for my plugins, presets, and other stuff I like to sync between my desktop and my laptop computer.
Johan,

I did investigate DropBox once, but the amount available with a free account does not begin to cover the volume of data that I would need to synchronize between devices. Since I'm dealing with a laptop and a desktop at the same location (except when I'm travelling), it's just much more straightforward to use Goodsync. There are no capacity limitations and performance in a local network is much faster than web upload/download.

When I'm travelling, I run backups every night to an external HDD.

Phil

Johan,

I did investigate DropBox once, but the amount available with a free account does not begin to cover the volume of data that I would need to synchronize between devices. Since I'm dealing with a laptop and a desktop at the same location (except when I'm travelling), it's just much more straightforward to use Goodsync. There are no capacity limitations and performance in a local network is much faster than web upload/download.

When I'm travelling, I run backups every night to an external HDD.

Phil
The advantage of Dropbox is that syncing is constantly done (in the background). That means you can never forget to sync your computers before you go on a trip, and you have an extra online bakup as well. I have a professional Dropbox account. Well worth it. The online space is twice the size of the hard disk in my laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back