• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

XMP profile keeps importing as preset

Status
Not open for further replies.

signupbrodie

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I use Photoshop Raw Camera to convert an XMP preset to a profile. but when I load it into Lightroom, it still saves as a preset.

I converted an xmp preset into a profile through these steps:
1. right click on the DNG file -> open in Photoshop
2. this opens Photoshop Raw Camera. I apply the preset and create a new User Profile
3. I find this new xmp file in /ApplicationSupport/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings
4. I create a new folder /ApplicationSupport/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/Profiles/Adobe/Papaya and move the new xmp file here using the Finder
5. in lightroom, I try to Import new profile and navigate to the /ApplicationSupport/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/Profiles and select my new xmp file
6. I get a message saying "the preset was imported" (I'm expecting it to be a profile). And the xmp file name shows up under Presets tab

how can I keep my profile, as a profile?
I've included some screenshots
Initial DNG file I open in photoshop:
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 12.52.38 AM.png

Created new User Profile in Camera Raw:
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 12.52.56 AM.png

Profile being saved as Preset in Lightroom:
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 1.25.55 AM.png

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Sure!
1. I downloaded the DNG file from online (this is the DNG for the preset already. Bought it online)
2. Right click -> open in adobe photoshop. Automatically opens up camera raw
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 10.59.15 AM.png

3. Go to presets tab -> option + click the icon in the corner
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 10.59.42 AM.png

4. New profile window pops up -> save that with name "cream2"
5. Go to Basics tab and see profile at the bottom
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 11.00.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 11.00.18 AM.png

I also have the XMP format of the preset available to me as well, in case that helps.

Thank you!

That is strange. The screenshots of Camera Raw show ‘PNG’ at the top of the Camera Raw window. That should have been ‘DNG’ according to what you just said. I wonder if that has something to do with this.

Maybe those files aren’t DNG but PNG. If Camera Raw opens them anyway, then the problem might be that the data are RGB and not raw. I never tried but I think you cannot create a (real) profile from RGB data, because the base of every profile is the standard Adobe raw profile. Camera Raw would not be too picky and show it as a profile anyway (at least when an RGB image is selected, maybe not when you select a raw image), but Lightroom would not accept that and so it sees it as a preset, not a profile.

Thanks for the response. I think you were correct. I tried the process above again using a different RAW image I downloaded from the internet. I applied my filter and saved a new Profile in the same way I specified above. Now I'm able to import it into Lightroom correctly but can't see/find/use it?

1. Downloaded a RAW file from the internet. Opened it in Photoshop. Created a new profile cream2Tester
(this screenshot was taken after I moved the cream2Tester.xmp to the other folder, I'm guessing that's why theres no icon showing up)
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 7.00.28 PM.png

2. Put that in the same /ApplicationSupport/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/Profiles/Adobe/Papaya folder. Went to that folder and imported it in Lightroom
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 7.00.53 PM.png

3. I see the profile imported!! But now It's not available under any of the subfolders under Profile?

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 6.59.34 PM.png

4. I don't see the cream2Tester profile in any of these tabs? I tried restarting Lightroom but couldn't get it to show up still.
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 7.06.42 PM.png

What image have you selected in Lightroom? If you create a profile with a Canon raw file, then you must have a raw file selected in Lightroom to see that profile (unless you specify that the profile is also for non-raw files). From the looks of it in your Favorites, you do not have a raw file selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back