• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Worth Not Backing Up Previews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 11
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a nightly backup to an external disk. I specifically exclude all '*.lrprev' files thinking this will reduce the backup size for files LrC can recreate.

I just reviewed https://www.lightroomqueen.com/backup-lightroom-files/ and now wonder if I should be excluding the directory 'Preview.lrdata' instead.

Is it ok if I just exclude the files and not the directory? I ask because this logic is scattered through a number of backup procedures.

Thanks

The Preview.lrdata folder will automatically be create if on startup, Lightroom finds the folder missing. As it can get quite large, the recommendation is to not include this folder or the Smart Preview folder in your system backup to keep the system backup size small.

If you select an image in Lightroom Classic, and it is missing, LrC will build a new on on the fly. There is also a menu item to Build Standard Previews and also Build 1:1 Previews on selected files.

skipping the previews folder is the same as skipping all the .lrprev files contained therein. However, depending on the tools you're using for backup, telling it to skip the folder may be way faster than requiring it to drill down to each and every file to see if it is a .lrprev file.

The only catalog related items you "need" to backup or the ".lrcat" file and the ".lrcat-data" folder. All others are optional but if present may imporve performance as LR will not have to rebuild them.

One warning against not backing up smart previews: If you travel with a laptop and take a catalog and smart previews with you, then do backup the smart previews too! If you don't back these up and they get corrupted, then you no longer have the possibility to edit your images until you get back home and have the originals available again. Lightroom can't rebuild smart previews if it does not have access to the originals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back