• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Synchronize folder sometimes unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalvinHilton

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I first noticed this problem when I was on LR version 11.14.1 but I've since upgraded to LR 12.0.1.

If I know that I have new photos in a folder already known to LR I've been using Synchronize Folder to add the new photos to LR catalog.

This is what's happening now when I try to synchronize:

1. LR quickly tells me how many new photos it detected. For my latest attempt there was only one.
2. I turn on "Show import dialog before importing" because I want to see what LR found and usually add keywords to the import.
3. After clicking on Synchronize I see the Import screen.
4. LR churns for minutes, e.g. 3 minutes. Windows Task Manager says it's constantly using between 4% and 5% of my CPU. No other programs using even 1% CPU. There isn't any disk activity on either my C drive (SSD) or D drive (HDD).
5. I eventually get tired of waiting and kill LR using Task Manager.

But if I don't use Synchronize Folder but instead just invoke Import and then select the same folder LR only takes a few seconds at most before I can click on Import and I'm done.

The most recent folder that I've been trying to synchronize has about 3200 photos.

I don't know if Synchronize Folder would ever finish because I've never wanted to wait more than 5 minutes before deciding to kill LR and use something that I know works in a reasonable amount of time.

After composing this I decided to try Synchronize Folder with a folder containing fewer photos. I chose one with about 1200 photos and synchronize worked reasonably well.

Still wondering why synchronize can't consistently work as well as a straight import once LR gets to the same Import dialog.

Attachments

• LR1201systemInfo.txt
    13 KB · Views: 104
Have a read of this blog article from Victoria-
Dangers of Synchronize Folder

The only time I ever use the 'Folder Synchronize' function is if Photoshop has created a new file that is not linked to the LrC Catalog. (eg. I might create Slideshow Text/Title 'slides'.)
Otherwise for all new camera files it is always the correct [Import] dialog.

Have a read of this blog article from Victoria-
Dangers of Synchronize Folder

The only time I ever use the 'Folder Synchronize' function is if Photoshop has created a new file that is not linked to the LrC Catalog. (eg. I might create Slideshow Text/Title 'slides'.)
Otherwise for all new camera files it is always the correct [Import] dialog.
I use it when you use it and when Victoria says to use it:

So when is it useful? If you’ve dropped photos into a folder using other software (including Windows Explorer/Finder), or you’ve edited a photo in an external editor (e.g. Photoshop or OnOne) and it hasn’t been automatically added to the catalog, then Synchronize Folder saves you navigating to the folder in the Import dialog

and I never turn on Remove Missing.

I don't have answers. I suspect (and experience) that the code to detect 'Duplicates' is much slower in 'Folder Synchronize' than it is in 'Import'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back