• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

"Show Focus Points" Plugin with MacOS Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkovak

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
Have found that this plugin no longer functions as it has a 32 bit component. Anyone aware of a planned update or an alternative? Not received a response from the plugin author as yet.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken Kovak
Lehigh Valley, PA
https://kenkphotography.smugmug.com

Looking on the developer's website, it hasn't been updated since 2017. I suspect it is a dead product at this point, but who knows.

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll add checking Plugins to my list of things to get in order before I upgrade to Catalina

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll add checking Plugins to my list of things to get in order before I upgrade to Catalina
Good thinking, we'll add that to ours too

That particular one doesnt work. And is unlikely to work in the future. I contacted the guy a while ago with no response - so I doubt he is going to update it.
A simple one that I have found works with Catalina is this one. Simple -but does the trick.

musselwhizzle/Focus-Points
The top right side of the page has the download (Clone or Download)
Follow the instructions, move the file to where you want it - before you add it to Lightroom. If you install it and then move it (as I did!) - it wont work

This should really be added to LR by Adobe. It is absurd that this is not a standard feature of LR. It was a standard feature of Apple's Aperture for all cameras. It is incredibly useful for evaluating photos, particularly those of wildlife (birds in particular) in motion.

Follow the instructions, move the file to where you want it - before you add it to Lightroom. If you install it and then move it (as I did!) - it wont work

Can't get the musselwhizzle one to work. Says "info.lua" file missing but it's not missing. After extracting downlad zip file, the folder name is "Focus-Points-Master" (no ".lrplugin" extension). inside the folder, the plugin folder name is "focuspoints.lrdevplugin". I can't change this to "focuspoints.lrplugin" as that is the same name as the other one, so i tried "focuspoints2.lrplugin". but then it says the Info.lua is missing.

Thanks --Dan

That particular one doesnt work. And is unlikely to work in the future. I contacted the guy a while ago with no response - so I doubt he is going to update it.
A simple one that I have found works with Catalina is this one. Simple -but does the trick.

However, many cameras are not supported. (Not a criticism, but an observation, since this is a "volunteer" effort.) For a camera like my D3, with many focus points, adding support would be cumbersome. And a web search did not turn up D3 support.

Can't get the musselwhizzle one to work. Says "info.lua" file missing but it's not missing. After extracting downlad zip file, the folder name is "Focus-Points-Master" (no ".lrplugin" extension). inside the folder, the plugin folder name is "focuspoints.lrdevplugin". I can't change this to "focuspoints.lrplugin" as that is the same name as the other one, so i tried "focuspoints2.lrplugin". but then it says the Info.lua is missing.

Thanks --Dan

You have to delete the old one or rename the old one first to something like focus points-old.lrplugin. Then you can change the name of the new one - the musselwhizzle one - as the instructions say from focuspoints.lrdevplugin to focuspoints.lrplugin. The reason that you can't just rename the new one arbitrarily is that there are adjunct files that depend on having the name be specifically focuspoints.lrplugin. I have done this and it works just fine under Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back