• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Script (or alternative) to copy and paste "Crop" Develop settings based on filename.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinhawaiian

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 8.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello everyone! New guy in the forums here.

Here's my issue and I'd be grateful if any of the pros out there could chime in. Basically, I'm digitizing old film negatives through a scanner. I have captured a scan of both the RGB and also an infrared scan (used as a dust mask to clean up the negative later) of each negative. Leaving me with 2 images for each negative that must stay aligned to each other.

I have a large number of these to process and basically, the scan process is not super precise on finding the exact edge, etc. So basically, I've been manually cropping each image individually and then copy and pasting the crop to the corresponding Infrared image (delineated by an "-IR" extension in the name) so that they match up.

Other than the Cntrl+Shift+C (and then "Enter" to OK through the Copy Settings) and then selecting the next image in the row and pressing Cntrl+Shift+V, and repeating that for thousands of images, can anyone point me to a better workflow or a script I could hack around with to get some sort of speedup to the workflow?

Optimally, if I were able to figure it out, I'd like to get a script to:

For each Image (that does not have "-IR" in the name) in the Library,
Copy the name of the file as a variable name (somefile.TIF),
Copy the Crop settings,
Find the corresponding infrared file ("somefile" + "-IR.TIF" )
Paste the Crop settings

This seems like a pretty easy task, but I'm intimidated by Lua. If anyone has any half-way-there scipts that I could take a look at, I would appreciate your help. (Alternatively, if I could just sync the IR crop to the RGB image crop, that would also be perfect).

Thank you in advance for your help!

I am not aware of anything in LR that can do that but I suspect there may be in Photoshop. Out of my realm of expertise.

However, how bad is the dust from your scanning? I too am scanning old negatives from the 1940's and 1950's. I too was having dust problems but my solution was a lens brush and compressed air to clean the negatives and the glass plates on the scanner (both top and bottom plates). and that pretty much solved my dust problem. You can also look for SW built into many scanners such as "Digital ICE" which is designed to do this for you and in addition to handling dust will also fix scratches in the negative. Such SW may be available in your scanner or you may be able to find some "for after the scan processing" but I'm told those don't work quite as well.

But, to repeat, if your negatives and scanner glass are clean you shouldn't have all that much dust in your scanned images and the spot removal tool in LR with "Visualize Spots" turned on should work pretty well and be much less time consuming.

Thanks for your rapid response and recommendations, Califdan. I've looked into the alternative processes and as you mention, they don't work very well. We have a pretty solid automated dust and scratch removal process but the key is the IR scans being cropped exactly to the RGB image. I can manually copy the crop settings in Lightroom, but these are extremely large scans (120+megapixels) so needless to say, there is some delay in the time between pressing those hotkeys and getting the "Copy Settings" dialog to pop up. Over a couple hundred scans, it gets pretty laborious.

Look up my Syncomatic .

JohnBeardy,

Thanks again for the intro to your tool, it works perfectly!

While I wish there was a checkbox to just copy the crop settings, it appears from the forums that this is a limitation on the SDK side. Either way, its seems to be a one time, one-way sync of all Develop settings from parent images to child images, so after using your tool to sync all develop settings (except for a single IR image that held my correct Develop settings and that I would manually crop later), I was then able to copy all Develop settings except Crop from that single, unchanged IR image and then paste my standard adjustments back onto all of the perfectly cropped IR images ). (I'll just create a preset for the develop settings so that I don't have to do the little copy paste dance in the future.)

Anyway, thanks again for the tool! It's a lifesaver! Heading over to purchase now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back