• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Preparing and sending 500+ photos of wedding photos to daughter - Guidance required

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorMartin

Trev JM
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  3. iOS
Hi, Whilst I use LR for my own purposes I don't tend to export completed photos often though I hope to change that soon with a new printer I have ordered to allow me to print and hang some of my better attempts. Anyway, I need some advice please as follows:

I have just returned from my daughters wedding that occurred last week in Greece. They had official photographers who did all the expected shots required though they are still waiting for evidence of how they turned out. I as father of the bride was asked to take a few candid shots of the 40 plus people that attended which I duly did. Approx 500 photos (all RAW only) using a Nikon Z6. On returning home I asked for all those present at the wedding to send in their own photos, all from mobile phones (another 500 or so) and I have imported them all into LR and done some basic editing etc. Now my daughter is chomping at the bit to look at them and I need to seed them all to her digitally asap. What is the best way for me to do so? She does not use LR and they have Mac and MS laptops. Madam is already saying any photos with wrinkles etc. will need editing again :) let alone other requirements so clearly there will need to revisit most of the photos and tweak further. Additionally I would also like to send them a full set of the photos in B&W. Again what is the best way to do so that will allow them to view them easily and for me to edit again later. I am also conscious that half the photos will be RAW files the other presumably JPEG ?? as they have been taken using mobile phones.

Any advice as to the best way forward would be gratefully received bearing in mind I am also snowed under work wise and don't want this to become a rod for my own back.

Hi Trevor, welcome to the forum!

One of the simplest options would be to export all of the photos to JPEG, perhaps lower resolution to make them easier to send. You could use something like www.wetransfer.com to send them, rather than clogging up email. Then she can send you a list of file names for further editing.

Or, another option would put them in a collection, sync that collection to the cloud and share the link to the web gallery. Your daughter can then view them in a web browser, "like" the ones she likes, and add comments about extra editing.

Hi Victoria, thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here :)

Probably a stupid question but once you export them do you still have the original RAW file (with edits available). It doesn't convert the existing files?

Yep, Lightroom's non-destructive, so your originals and edits stay in the catalog. Export just creates a throwaway copy.

I assume I could make a copy of the original edits and do a global B&W conversion and then send them to my daughter (or a link to access them) as well.

Yeah, use virtual copies for that.

Since you have a subscription, I would suggest creating a collection and sync’ing that to the Adobe Cloud. Once on the Lightroom Web, you could share that album to whoever you like. . This would include the ability for viewers to download individual image if they like. Also, any future edits that you make to the RAW images would be synced back to the cloud album.
The album could collect comments from individual viewers for improvements and preferences

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since you have a subscription, I would suggest creating a collection and sync’ing that to the Adobe Cloud. Once on the Lightroom Web, you could share that album to whoever you like. . This would include the ability for viewers to download individual image if they like. Also, any future edits that you make to the RAW images would be synced back to the cloud album.
The album could collect comments from individual viewers for improvements and preferences

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. I would send the photos in the collection in a JPEG/TIFF format as an export I assume

Thanks for this. I would send the photos in the collection in a JPEG/TIFF format as an export I assume
No, that's not necessary. The process is simple:

1. Create the collection in Classic.
2. Sync that collection to the cloud (it will upload Smart Previews only, though these are plenty good enough for viewing online and making selections).
3. Once the SPs have uploaded, you make the collection "public" (which simply means a URL is generated, which you can then send to those people you want to share with).
4. Copy the link, send it to your daughter, once she clicks on the link the collection will open in a browser window. If she has an Adobe ID she will be able to comment and "like" the images, if she doesn't have one she can only view. However I understand she can create an ID by using her existing social media accounts (e.g. FB, Google).

The great beauty of sharing in this way is that there is no need to export copies of the images (then re-export every time you make a change) until such time as the final selections and edits have been made, as the viewer is always looking at the previews of the currenly edited original files. I did something similar (photographed a wedding as a friend, in addition to the paid-for professional), and subsequent editing/selections was a lot of fun as I could interact directly with the bride (phone, message, etc.)....she could tell me how she wanted a particular image edited, I would do it, the edit would sync, I'd tell her to refresh her browser so that she could see the edit, and we'd work on from there.

No, that's not necessary. The process is simple:

1. Create the collection in Classic.
2. Sync that collection to the cloud (it will upload Smart Previews only, though these are plenty good enough for viewing online and making selections).
3. Once the SPs have uploaded, you make the collection "public" (which simply means a URL is generated, which you can then send to those people you want to share with).
4. Copy the link, send it to your daughter, once she clicks on the link the collection will open in a browser window. If she has an Adobe ID she will be able to comment and "like" the images, if she doesn't have one she can only view. However I understand she can create an ID by using her existing social media accounts (e.g. FB, Google).

The great beauty of sharing in this way is that there is no need to export copies of the images (then re-export every time you make a change) until such time as the final selections and edits have been made, as the viewer is always looking at the previews of the currenly edited original files. I did something similar (photographed a wedding as a friend, in addition to the paid-for professional), and subsequent editing/selections was a lot of fun as I could interact directly with the bride (phone, message, etc.)....she could tell me how she wanted a particular image edited, I would do it, the edit would sync, I'd tell her to refresh her browser so that she could see the edit, and we'd work on from there.

That sounds perfect for my needs. Thank you for your assistance and everybody else too.

That sounds perfect for my needs. Thank you for your assistance and everybody else too.

Yes this works perfect like this, I do it all the time in exactly the same way to share stuff with people.

As is was already mentioned you can access this shared collection from anywhere such as phone etc BUT there is something even better, because if you access the collection from a mac or PC (meaning you will not access the mobile version) then there will automatically appear a button to download the whole collection in case someone wants or needs to have the pictures stored locally.

Regards,
Tom

I only shoot RAW and export Jpegs. I do all my editing snd then create 4 exports. One for email and general viewing which is 800 pixels on the long side. I don't use facebook but I read you can upload up to 1500 on the long side so that is a second set. The are both set to screen for output sharpening.

Then two at 3000 on the long side for 8 by 10 prints. One set to Matte and the other to Glossy. I name the folders and provide a set of instructions letting them know to view the 800 sized files. All the files in each folder are numbered the same so if they want to send some for print they can just select the correct ones. I also tell them if they want anything special to let me know. I delete the Jpegs after a month as I can always export again if I need to.

Since you are the father you don't have to do this but it may give you a few ideas.

Jim,

Just to make sure I, and future readers understand you correctly, when you are referring to syncing to the cloud, I am assuming that you are referring to LR CC ("Cloudy")?

--Ken

He's saying that the photos should be synced to Adobe's Lightroom service from classic Lightroom. Once they are synced to that cloud, other apps can see them. One is a web browser - and we're generally calling that Lightroom Web. It is the way that third parties such as the OP's family can access the pictures.

"Cloudy" happens to one of those apps, by which we mean the Mac/PC program version 2.4 which is similar to Lightroom Mobile . Jim's not really referring to it here.

Jim,

Just to make sure I, and future readers understand you correctly, when you are referring to syncing to the cloud, I am assuming that you are referring to LR CC ("Cloudy")?

--Ken
What John said!

It's a common misconception, or mis-statement, that Lightroom apps sync directly with each other.....they don't of course, they only ever sync with the Adobe cloud server, and it's the latter that sorts everything out. Once images are in the cloud, any of the ecosystem apps will be able to see and access those images, and when you "share" (or "make public") a collection/album it becomes available to view directly from the cloud server via a web browser using the specific URL which is generated by the sharing procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back