• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

NVidea GEForce Graphics Firmware Update - Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashpixx

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Updated the graphics card firmware for the RTX 3060 6GB
After update noticed that the GPU rendering was taking an excessive amount of time to complete
Checked the LRC performance tab and noted the Graphis Processor was Off and Greyed out rather than showing Custom as is shown here (this is after optimising Geforce)
1677990487993.png

Opened NVidea GEForce Experience and launched LRC - noted that it was not optimised
clicked the optimise tab which revealed the following

1677990727767.png

Once optimised and rechecked LRC Performance tab the graphics GPU has changed back to NVIdea and GPU graphics rendering back to normal. :)

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

I have an NVidea MX230 in my laptop and have the same issue. I have tried every way I know how to try and make LR use the GPU for everything. Nothing doing so I think I'll have to wait for the next drive update and hope this is resolved.

I have told this story several times .... I escalated the non use of my gpu in a fully specified, expensive laptop to relatively senior management in Dell. I was assigned a senior engineer to deal with my issue, who was an ultimate professional and understood that I understood the issue . I have it in writing (if I can find the email) that my model was designed for use for high end graphics... which unbelievable specifically excluded Photoshop, Lightroom and maybe AutoCad.

I asked for my money back and got a refund within a few days. This poisoned me from considering any future laptop purchases where I was looking for gpu performance (which I would as I need GPU for increasing functions in Lr and PS).

I do not have the resources to test potential laptop purchases .... so I now use Win for my desktop workstation (and glad that I can build / configure to my spec) and purchase apple laptops for travel.

Updated the graphics card firmware for the RTX 3060 6GB
After update noticed that the GPU rendering was taking an excessive amount of time to complete
Checked the LRC performance tab and noted the Graphis Processor was Off and Greyed out rather than showing Custom as is shown here (this is after optimising Geforce)
View attachment 20450

Opened NVidea GEForce Experience and launched LRC - noted that it was not optimised
clicked the optimise tab which revealed the following

View attachment 20451
Once optimised and rechecked LRC Performance tab the graphics GPU has changed back to NVIdea and GPU graphics rendering back to normal. :)

BTW - the driver that you updated isn't the latest from Nvidia. The latest studio driver is 528.49 (31.0.15.2849).

BTW - the driver that you updated isn't the latest from Nvidia. The latest studio driver is 528.49 (31.0.15.2849).
I have v 531.18 for the MX230. I didn't have this same issue until I noticed it since the last driver update, which was released 2/28/23. I'm gonna reinstall the previous driver and see if that makes any difference. Never had this problem before.

I have v 531.18 for the MX230. I didn't have this same issue until I noticed it since the last driver update, which was released 2/28/23. I'm gonna reinstall the previous driver and see if that makes any difference. Never had this problem before.

The driver V531.18 is a "game ready driver". You should be only installing "studio" drivers. The latest version studio driver is 528.49. FYI - there is also a "game ready driver" with the same version.

The driver V531.18 is a "game ready driver". You should be only installing "studio" drivers. The latest version studio driver is 528.49. FYI - there is also a "game ready driver" with the same version.
I've been installing these drivers since I've owned my laptop (game ready) and they've always worked. I just did a search for studio driver for my card and there are none.

I have told this story several times .... I escalated the non use of my gpu in a fully specified, expensive laptop to relatively senior management in Dell. I was assigned a senior engineer to deal with my issue, who was an ultimate professional and understood that I understood the issue . I have it in writing (if I can find the email) that my model was designed for use for high end graphics... which unbelievable specifically excluded Photoshop, Lightroom and maybe AutoCad.

I asked for my money back and got a refund within a few days. This poisoned me from considering any future laptop purchases where I was looking for gpu performance (which I would as I need GPU for increasing functions in Lr and PS).

I do not have the resources to test potential laptop purchases .... so I now use Win for my desktop workstation (and glad that I can build / configure to my spec) and purchase apple laptops for travel.
Likewise! Building it yourself, you get what you want un-compromised. It's not that hard. It's basically techy Lego but fewer parts. I wouldn't want to try building a laptop though.

Interesting, I guess Nvidia thinks that people only used that graphic card for gaming
That's very true. Sales in gaming are huge. AFAIK, workstation GPUs may be more suited to what we do but these tend to be expensive, possibly because of lower volumes.

Update: I used the NVidia control panel and made the default GPU the NVidia board for my display. Opened up LR and now the GPU can be used for all functions of processing and exporting images. Never had to do that so I don't know what changed. Even going back several driver versions didn't change anything until I forced my computer to used the NVidia board as default.

Likewise! Building it yourself, you get what you want un-compromised. It's not that hard. It's basically techy Lego but fewer parts. I wouldn't want to try building a laptop though.
I don't think it's practical to build an advanced function laptop. A "toy," maybe. The key to building a system yourself is a set of standardized (commodotized) parts that have standard dimensions, e.g. motherboards or power supplies. Laptops are design more or less as sealed "appliances," with the NVMe drive stick about the only user-replaceable part. The case, motherboard, keyboard, etc, are all custom-designed.

Smartphones are even more sealed up.

Some laptops are a little more upgradeable, but normally storage drives and RAM are the only user upgrades possible. On better designs, a user battery change is possible - HP and Lenovo post their service manuals online and ordering official parts is possible. It is sometimes possible to add WWAN capabilities, but I haven't bothered with WWAN in a laptop for years; I just Wi-Fi tether my phone.

Other than storage and RAM, I would not expect a part that was not designed for the laptop in question to work. Other upgrades on a laptop are unlikely to be cost-effective anyway - the retail cost of most parts does not compare favourably to buying a whole new laptop.

Likewise! Building it yourself, you get what you want un-compromised.
Budget considerations?

It's not that hard. It's basically techy Lego but fewer parts.
It's not for the faint-hearted or without sufficient tech knowledge to understand all the geeky words that describe most components. If you buy a desktop, you need only plug in a keyboard and mouse, monitor, and install your printers. Building your own, you need to know how many USB ports you need and which kind, the correct way to connect your monitor, and other stuff. There are websites devoted to teaching these skills. https://www.newegg.com/insider/buil...-time-dont-panic-this-guide-can-help-you-out/

I wouldn't want to try building a laptop though.
Impossible, really. At best, you can order a system and upgrade the NVMe drive and maybe the RAM.

It's not for the faint-hearted or without sufficient tech knowledge to understand all the geeky words that describe most components.
True, and I am a bit geeky for a septuagenarian, but when the gurus here start talking of EXIF, file formats and bit depth, my eyes glaze over.

True, and I am a bit geeky for a septuagenarian, but when the gurus here start talking of EXIF, file formats and bit depth, my eyes glaze over.
@BobT

I'm also a septuageniarn, but I had the advantage of being in the software industry most of my career, so I had to become familiar with these kinds of terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back