• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

New version of Lr error converting catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

zugz

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I upgraded to LrC 9.4.1 from Lr 8.4.1 on my Mid 2010 Mac Pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. The issue is I am getting an error when the new software tries to convert my catalog, see attached screen shot. When I go to Adobe's TechNote I get this link that says delete the lock file which Lr already does so this TechNote doesn't help. This started happening to me in Aug. 2020 and I tried waiting for a later Lr upgrade but it didn't help. Suggestions?

Attachments

• Unable_to_Upgrade_Catalog.png
    Unable_to_Upgrade_Catalog.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 179
Under LrC 8.4.1, I would export the whole catalog as a new catalog. Then try to upgrade this new catalog with the latest LrC version (10.1).

Filled up my hard drive so it did not complete the export. So export as catalog exports all the pictures too or just the catalog? What does the checkbox "export negative files" mean, see screen shot? I guess not exporting previews would help reduce export size...

So if I have 2TB of pictures then I need 2TB for the export as catalog and then another 2TB to import and convert to the new Lr?

Attachments

• Export_as_Catalog.png
    Export_as_Catalog.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 170
So export as catalog exports all the pictures too or just the catalog? What does the checkbox "export negative files" mean,
The images files are stored separately. "Export Negative files" means to export copies of the original image files and folders. The Export as a catalog creates a package of Catalog file and the image files in subfolders if you choose to "Export Negative files" too This package is portable meaning that you can move a copy of the package to a different computer or a different disk drive. If you should copy the package intact to another computer running Lightroom, all you would need to do is open the exported catalog file on the new computer and the image files would be found in their package folders.
If you don't have enough room to create the whole package then uncheck the "Export Negative files" and create only the catalog file. That catalog file will be sufficient to replace your old master catalog file in the old folder location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back