Lightroom Import and Nikon D810

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRJ

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Help please.
I normally shoot RAW (NEF) with Nikon D810 and use LR happily up to that point.

On a one off trip I wish to set camera to RAW+JPG Normal with a CF in the primary (RAW) slot as usual.
I will then put an SD card in the secondary slot (JPG)

While on trip I would transfer the JPG to iPAD/Notebook from the SD card for viewing and culling.
The SD JPG are not required anywhere else.

Back home only the CF card NEF files would be required on my PC where JPGS if required would be produced there in LR from the original RAW.

Will LR import JPGs from the RAW file with the CF card or can the two be dealt with seperately, as stated I do not need the SD card JPGS on my home PC.
Never used this configuration before.
LR6/Nikon D810/Win10

Thanks for any advice.

I suppose you want to select the good jpeg-photos on the tablet, and then only import the corresponding raw files on the desktop machine when you get home? I don't think that is possible in Lightroom. Perhaps a third party utility or plugin would allow this, but I don't know one.

Thank you for replying,

JPG transfer is very easy from the SD card itself with an adaptor which I have, it connects to the iPad and an SD card can be inserted into it. Almost as easy as transfer from a Wi-Fi card.
What I want is to prevent the JPG being imported into LR and wondered if any Nikon/LR user knew the ins and out of the RAW+JPG menu.

As noted, if they went to a different card, just do not import that card. But if they are on the same card, there are a couple of easy options - the simplest is probably to use Explorer to view the card, sort by the type of file (click the column header) select all the RAW and drag and drop them to a new temporary folder on your PC, and then import from there. You could also just delete the JPG's from the card, but I always think it is a big dangerous to delete from the card until the real shots are safely on the hard drive.

Now if this really is about only importing the ones you selected as JPG's, that's a manual thing really.

...I wish to set camera to RAW+JPG Normal with a CF in the primary (RAW) slot as usual.
I will then put an SD card in the secondary slot (JPG)...
Back home only the CF card NEF files would be required on my PC where JPGS if required would be produced there in LR from the original RAW.
Will LR import JPGs from the RAW file with the CF card or can the two be dealt with seperately, as stated I do not need the SD card JPGS on my home PC.
Never used this configuration before.
LR6/Nikon D810/Win10...
I'm not sure any of us are understanding what you are asking. If the NEFs are only on the CF Card, then the CF Card will only import NEFs. If you import from the SD card, it will only contain JPEGS and these JPEGs if imported to the PC will not be associated with the NEFs other than by sharing a common original file name. If you want JPEGs out of LR when you only have NEFs imported, you need to use the Export function and create them. RAW NEF files contain the RAW data and a thumbnail JPEG in the header. This Thumbnail is not a complete JPEG but is instead a resized miniature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back