• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keyword Counts in a hierarchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
My keywords are in a hierarchy: WHAT>DOGS>Dog_Name.
Each named dog may have several photos.

I would like to know the number of individual dogs. The count for the DOGS keyword is too high so there must be som photos with the keyword "DOGS"

I have close to 200 named dogs and a total of about 5400 individual photos of them.

The count for each individual Dog_name is correct. but the count for the DOGS says 300. That is more than the number of Dog_names and way less than the number total dog photos.

How do I select the photos that are throwing the count off.

Solution
there must be som photos with the keyword "DOGS"
To see just those photos that are assigned DOGS and not a keyword contained in DOGS: Open the Metadata browser with the Keyword column. Click the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner of the column and choose Flat:

1648442730783.png

Now, the counts shown in the column for each keyword are just for those photos explicitly assigned the keyword. When you click a keyword in the column, you'll see just those photos.
there must be som photos with the keyword "DOGS"
To see just those photos that are assigned DOGS and not a keyword contained in DOGS: Open the Metadata browser with the Keyword column. Click the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner of the column and choose Flat:

1648442730783.png

Now, the counts shown in the column for each keyword are just for those photos explicitly assigned the keyword. When you click a keyword in the column, you'll see just those photos.

Solution

View attachment 18378

thank you very much John. I thought it was a simple solution. Unfortunately I have rune into a mother problem I followed you instructions and was able to find the Keyword "# DOGS" in the flat list. I wanted to take that keyword out o0of the 300 pictures. to do this:
1. I selected them from the top keyword panel and then
2. I highlighted the 300 photos with command A"
3. I went to the right hand Keyword list panel and unchecked them. The count went to 30 instead of 0. No more photos were showing in the grid panel.

View attachment 18378

thank you very much John. I thought it was a simple solution. Unfortunately I have rune into a mother problem I followed you instructions and was able to find the Keyword "# DOGS" in the flat list. I wanted to take that keyword out o0of the 300 pictures. to do this:
1. I selected them from the top keyword panel and then
2. I highlighted the 300 photos with command A"
3. I went to the right hand Keyword list panel and unchecked them. The count went to 30 instead of 0. No more photos were showing in the grid panel.
I am sorry I had had something come up and left the post to attend to it., I guest it posted unfinished. So Here is the rest of the situation

As I said before the count did not go all the way to 0 but not photos show. I exited and re loaded LR. still the same situation. Also the "# DOGS" keyword does not appear in the flat list in the upper metadata panel. It still exists on the right hand key word list.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 12.56.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 12.56.01 PM.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 99
I am sorry I had had something come up and left the post to attend to it., I guest it posted unfinished. So Here is the rest of the situation

As I said before the count did not go all the way to 0 but not photos show. I exited and re loaded LR. still the same situation. Also the "# DOGS" keyword does not appear in the flat list in the upper metadata panel. It still exists on the right hand key word list.
Ok I do not know how I fixed this but now my counts are correct. I think there must have been an indexing issue.

So my question now is How do I get a count of the number of named dogs I have. Our it another way How do I know how many sub-kwerds are under a higher up keyword in the hierarchy?

Re what you were seeing before, your screenshot shows there is a column to the right of the Keyword column in the Metadata browser, which might have been filtering out some of the photos. Make sure that Keyword is the only column, and all other filters are turned off.

Also, some of the photos with "# DOGS" could have been buried inside collapsed stacks, which also would have confused things. Select All Photographs and do Photo > Stacking > Expand All Stacks.

So my question now is How do I get a count of the number of named dogs I have. Our it another way How do I know how many sub-keywords are under a higher up keyword in the hierarchy?
Do you want to know the number of subkeywords or the total number of photos assigned to several subkeywords?

If you want to know the number of subkeywords under an ancestor keyword, you'll have to count them in the Keyword List panel. Or do Metadata > Export Keywords, edit the exported tab-separated file in a text editor or Excel, and count them there.

thank you John. I did want to know the number of keywords under # DOGS. I know the number of photos. I guess there is not easy way to get that number. So I will try your methods. I wish Adobe would add that possibility. I have over 200 dogs and the number changes often as I take more.

I will double check stacks and that I am on All photos. How many columns can there be in the metadata panel. If I tab the side panels off will all metadata colors be visible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back