• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How do I get Lightroom to keep two words together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyndi25

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic: Version 9.0 Release, Camera Raw 12.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
If I put in a street address, 1234 Main Street, Lightroom does the following:

1234, Main, Street

I used to be able to do this, I think. I can't seem to find out how to do it now. In the example, I left out the apostrophes. They aren't germane to my question.

Please help.
2019-11-09-keep words-together.jpg

If you create the keyword using the Keyword List panel, you can have spaces in the keyword (I call this a Keyword Phrase). However using the text filter you can't tell the filter that "1432 Richardson Ave" is one keyword - it will always treat it as 3 different things to search for. Using the keyword metadata filter will allow you to zone in on the whole keyword phrase.

However, I have not tried this in LR/9 so see if it is still behaving this way (I sure hope they didn't make it worse). Do you see the full address as a single entry in the keyword list panel? If so and you select an image that has that keyword phrase does the Enter Keywords sub panel show it broken up into 3 separate keywords as shown in on the left of your screen shot? If so, that would be a bug. Can someone who has LR/9 installed check on this?

Check the Preferences>Interface tab, make sure that Keyword Entry is set to Commas for separation of keywords, not Spaces. If you have Spaces set, either change it to Commas or put quotes around any keywords that contain spaces.

FWIW, I put addresses in the SUBLOCATION tag (among other places). There are also CITY, STATE/PROVINCE and COUNTRY FIELDS that I use. There is also a LOCATION tag I use but I'm not sure which metadata schema it's part of since it doesn't show in the EXIF+IPTC display in LR LIBRARY.

1573391484568.png

Thank you for all your help.
Jim Wilde, I had my preferences set to spaces. I vaguely remember going in one day and changing some things there, and that was one of the changes.

Paul_DS256, thank you for the suggestion. It's a habit that I need to get into.

Califdan, I think that this latest version of Lightroom works the way you would expect the other versions to work in regards to keyword sets. When someone like me goes in and makes a change to the action of the keywords, it stops working, at least for me.

Thank you all for helping me to solve my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back