• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Content Aware or Layers to Mask & Remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomokc

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom CC Mobile
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi all. I'm an aerial photographer/videographer, and certainly NOT an editor but I am trying! I am trying to use LR CC Mobile to remove a tower crane behind our state capitol building, but I suspect that I'm approaching this wrong. Using the healing tool wasn't effective (see attachment), so I asked a good editor friend who suggested using Photoshop to mask the sky, copy to a second layer, and then use the content aware fill feature. Is there a similar approach using LR CC Mobile, or would you recommend something else?

Your friend was right. Photoshop would also be my choice. But can we see the problem before you tried to fix it?

The other thing I'd do is use a clone line against the edge of the building, then a heal over the rest of it. That clone line will give you a clean edge against the building, and as long as the heal patch doesn't touch the building, it shouldn't smudge.

I would certainly try LR first, but the dome is going to make it difficult to get a clean edge. Not impossible, and I think you'd need lots of very small healing spots, not a few big ones, particularly at each point where the crane touches the dome. With PS, one would just use the pen to select the shape of the dome and protect it while using clone or content aware fill - realistic results much quicker. But it's quite a learning curve, and sometimes it's better squeezing every last bit out of LR.

The pen in PS:

I'd just use a single curved clone line with a small feather, rather than multiple spots, but I do agree it's tricky without a graphics tablet! I'd tend to switch to PS for this kind of thing.

The new Content-Aware Fill menu in Photoshop should make this easier because you can define the areas it can use, but this should be fairly simple using the clone tool instead of healing, or a combination of both tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back