• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Coming from LR 6 - Does an update to LR Classic make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bemero

Lightroom Version Number
LR 6
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum but it helped me already a lot! Thanks for that.

I have a questions concerning my thoughts about maybe changing from LR 6 to Classic. I guess this has already been discussed and I would be grateful if you could point me to one of these discussions then (was looking now for 15 minutes) :).

Thing is that I bought LR 6 and now sureley LR classic got cooler in terms of support of new cameras (I am using a rather old Canon EOS 60D and G1 X III and I am not being a professional photographer just loves taking photos and also using Photoshop CS 6). I am wondering if the new features of LR Classic and Photoshop might justify the additional costs (around 11 Euro / month).
So I would love to read some recommendations which might help me to get to a decision.

Many thanks, Cheers Bernhard

Hi Paul,
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!
Would be also great to get some personal experiences of some "switchers"!
:), Cheers, Bernhard

Hello and welcome,

I think it's a very personal thing. You can look at the developments that Paul has signposted to.
However, for me, always having the latest version, supported, bugs fixed, compatible with new operating systems for what is, again for me, a very affordable monthly fee is just a better place to be. I held off for a few months after the subscription model launched, but then moved over.

On a broader front, and after many years of involvement in software purchase, placing yourself on a supplier's preferred path almost always pays dividends in the long run.

The model seems to have suited Adobe's business very well - and that's fine by me. Having a profitable supplier delivering a quality produc is good.

Hi David,
Thank you. I agree with you. I think it is psychological issue ... by paying once a fee to a new update it is kind of purchased and by monthly fee it feels like ... well different. :)
You are right of course ... Thanks again!
Cheers, Bernhard

Hi David,
Thank you. I agree with you. I think it is psychological issue ... by paying once a fee to a new update it is kind of purchased and by monthly fee it feels like ... well different. :)
You are right of course ... Thanks again!
Cheers, Bernhard
A couple of quick thoughts (and words of encouragement?). First, can you pay yearly? I am not a huge fan of subscriptions, but accept their purpose for companies, but I always try to buy yearly instead of monthly, if only to reduce the hassle. I like to pay once per year and get it over and done. For some reason, monthly just keeps reminding me of the subscription.

More importantly, I was late to upgrade and actually went from 5.7 to Classic even thought I had a license for 6. My life was quite chaotic at the time, but once I did the upgrade, I have been quite happy with LR Classic, the option to use LR and PS, and all of the added goodies like Portfolio. I believe that Adobe has given good value to the package and that makes it much more attractive to me. If you do upgrade, I hope you explore the whole package and find it enjoyable.

Good luck,

--Ken

Hi Ken,
Thank you. You are having a good point here! Yearly payment will help my with my "psychological" issues :). And also thank you for your opinion to switch to the whole package! I surely will consider this. And will need to look at the goodies like Portfolio ... which I do not know yet.
I have my lightroom times and doing a lot in LR and also in PS ... and then it rests for some weeks or even months ... well uploading pictures from camera to the computer via LR is a regular thing.

This might be a new thread and I have not searched for posts yet in the forum. But just my experience when I add my third photo device I am using to the computer to import photos to LR 6: An Apple iPhone 11. I never somehow can make it happen that the photos are listed (maybe me doing something wrong) but is there any light at the end of my tunnel of frustration with the newer updated versions of LR Classic which allows easy importing to LR from Apple devices? I know these are minor photos but ... it happens to be the one always available at most of the times ...
:)
Cheers, Bernhard

This might be a new thread and I have not searched for posts yet in the forum. But just my experience when I add my third photo device I am using to the computer to import photos to LR 6: An Apple iPhone 11. I never somehow can make it happen that the photos are listed (maybe me doing something wrong) but is there any light at the end of my tunnel of frustration with the newer updated versions of LR Classic which allows easy importing to LR from Apple devices? I know these are minor photos but ... it happens to be the one always available at most of the times ...
You will find that it can be super easy to get your iPhone pictures into LrClassic. Basically you install the LrMobile app on the phone (it's included in the subscription) then you set it up so that any pictures that you take with the phone are automatically imported into LrMobile. From there they will automatically sync to your Adobe cloud account, and from there they will automatically download into LrClassic (once you have enabled Classic to sync). When setting up sync in Classic , you can change the default location on your local hard drive for the downloaded phone pictures to one of your own choosing. Once setup, the sequence is:
1. Take picture.
2. Open LrMobile on the phone, to allow the image to be auto-imported and auto-synced to the cloud (note you can use the LrMobile camera in place of the native Apple camera, in which case the images are already in the app at the point of capture).
3. Start Lr Classic and wait a few seconds for the image to appear.

Hi Jim,

Thank you! Okay ... that would be indeed an argument.
So do I understand correctly this feature with mobile cloud LrMobile is only available for the LrClassic and not the Lr 6 (Desktop version)?

For the iPhone pictures I can select a special folder which is synced with LrMobile? Because I do not want to sync all my 50 k pictures with mobile Cloud but rather have this possibility as an additional option.

Can I select which photos are sent to LrMobile as well? Like manually? (I guess so ...).

Once downloaded to my hard drive (LrClassic) and there maybe deleted will have an effect in the synced Adobe cloud but not on the pics taken on my phone?

Sorry for maybe stupid questions ... I am happy to be pointed to an article or thread which discusses this.
Thanks again for all this helpful input!
Very much appreciated.
Cheers Bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back