• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Develop module Color Smoothness slider

Kevin Sholder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic CC 8.2.1
Operating System
Windows 10
In the older version of the Lightroom Missing FAQ it discusses the color smoothness slider as the default value working well for most images. It also indicates that moving the slider to the right increases smoothing at the cost of performance. Can someone possibly explain the "at the cost of performance statement?

Thanks,
Kevin

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Smoothing operations such as you describe are at the pixel level of the image. To blend (smooth) at a given pixel requires the averaging of the surrounding pixels to define a smoothed value for the pixel being adjusted. To increase smoothing, means that you need to draw your smoothing value from a larger pool of surrounding pixel values. This process must be repeated for each pixel in the image and performance is determined by how many values are being included and how many pixels are being adjusted.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
So put another way, Lightroom gets slower the higher you push that slider, because it's having to do ever more complex calculations. (But Clee had a way more geeky and accurate explanation)

Kevin Sholder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Thanks you both for the replies. I figured it would get "slower" but why and how much was the heart of the question. It sounds like then the more varied the scene in terms of color and tonal value the more it has to work.

I've just started to explore this slider in more detail than previously, haven't used it at all in the past. Does anyone automatically add smoothness on import as a part of a preset due to camera limitations? I'm considering upping the smoothness a bit for my import preset. It also sounds like this could be more useful for portraits in general, especially headshots or scenes with more limited details, is this true as well?

Thanks,
Kevin

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I've found the default is generally about right for average photos. I only usually fiddle with it on really high iso, where you can start to see some color blotchiness.