• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Maximize Image View Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarineGirl405

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 12.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
I've recently transferred to LRC and am currently working through my library of photos to organize/tidy-up/tag, etc. In particular I'm having to re-tag the people in the images as this didn't carry over from my old setup (I do have keywords so I can find these really easily).

So now I'm just going through picture by picture and tagging faces... Painful but also sparking great memories.

However - while in Library Mode, with single picture in view, as I move from one picture to the next it seems to adjust the image size and sometime I have to zoom in to what appears to be a thumbnail, sometimes I have to zoom out to see the full picture.

So - Question - Is there a way (keyboard shortcut?) to Maximize the current image in the screen space available?
Or even better a setting that will do this as I move from one image to the next?

It wouldn't be such a killer if I didn't have so many pictures to work through - so for now any shortcut or setting that can help me will be a real boon.
Screenshot here shows how image is too small to really work with - I'd like to fill that gray space with the image max sized for the space.

Attachments

• Screenshot (36).png
    Screenshot (36).png
    307.2 KB · Views: 64
I accidentally found the answer to my own question -

Simply click with the mouse in the empty/spare gray area and it zooms picture to fit (and seems to remember that... :)

In the Navigator panel (top left), select the "Fit" zoom level. the zoom level options are visible even if the panel is collapsed as shown below.
If you don't see "fit" but instead see "fill" click the up/down arrow and select "Fit" from the list. Fit shows the entire image in the Loupe view, even if that means there is some empty space on two edges. Fill means that the image fills the screen area even if that means some image is over the edge on two sides.

1685210928632.png

As Dan says, Fit and Fill are the only magnifications that appear constant regardless of the pixel dimensions of images, because they always adjust the magnification of the current image to fit or fill the full display area.

Any fixed magnification percentage is relative to the display pixel dimensions, so as you view images that have very different pixel dimensions, naturally they display at their different sizes. For example, suppose your display is 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) and Lightroom Classic is set to 100% magnification (one image pixel to one display pixel). Based on that, as you move from image to image, all of the following are correct and expected: An old 640 x 480 pixel image will be tiny, a 3000 x 2000 image will almost but not quite fill Full Screen Preview, and a 24-megapixel digital camera image (6000 x 4000 pixels) will appear much larger than the screen and cut off.

A mouse click, pressing the Z key, or pressing the spacebar all toggle between Fit and the last used other magnification. So if you are viewing images of many different pixel dimensions and it’s annoying to watch them change size all the time, use any of those methods to toggle to Fit magnification.

As Dan says, Fit and Fill are the only magnifications that appear constant regardless of the pixel dimensions of images, because they always adjust the magnification of the current image to fit or fill the full display area.

Any fixed magnification percentage is relative to the display pixel dimensions, so as you view images that have very different pixel dimensions, naturally they display at their different sizes. For example, suppose your display is 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) and Lightroom Classic is set to 100% magnification (one image pixel to one display pixel). Based on that, as you move from image to image, all of the following are correct and expected: An old 640 x 480 pixel image will be tiny, a 3000 x 2000 image will almost but not quite fill Full Screen Preview, and a 24-megapixel digital camera image (6000 x 4000 pixels) will appear much larger than the screen and cut off.

A mouse click, pressing the Z key, or pressing the spacebar all toggle between Fit and the last used other magnification. So if you are viewing images of many different pixel dimensions and it’s annoying to watch them change size all the time, use any of those methods to toggle to Fit magnification.
Thanks for adding that extra info Conrad - I'm still getting up to speed with LR and really appreciate the assist!

In the Navigator panel (top left), select the "Fit" zoom level. the zoom level options are visible even if the panel is collapsed as shown below.
If you don't see "fit" but instead see "fill" click the up/down arrow and select "Fit" from the list. Fit shows the entire image in the Loupe view, even if that means there is some empty space on two edges. Fill means that the image fills the screen area even if that means some image is over the edge on two sides.

View attachment 20993
Awesome Dan - I've been totally ignoring the "Navigator" bar - now I'll pay better attention - I really appreciate the reply as I'm still on my training wheels here!

Thanks for the detail explanations Dan an Conrad. It is very informative, but leads me to a question.

In LR 5.7.1, when I viewed images in "Fit", the image would be scaled to fit the screen, but would never magnify above 100%. When I recently updated to LrC, I found that behavior had changed and "Fit" now magnifies above 100% if that is necessary to fill the screen, which means that when I press Z (to zoom to 100%) the image actually shrinks.

I almost never want to view images zoomed above 100% (because it exagerates artifacts). I there any way to get LrC to scale images to fit the screen but limit the magnification to 100% (like it did in 5.7.1)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back