• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

previews in 2 different folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Hi there,
I just figured out, LR (12.1) is storing the previews in 2 different folders (Win 11).
One is: User-Me-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom (right now 14,3 Gb)
Second is: User-Me-Pictures-Lightroom (right now 41,1 Gb)
I know, I should delete the previews when the folder gets too big.
But I don't know, why there are 2 different folders in different places.
Which one is the main one? Do I need to delete always both of them, when I run out of disc space?
Thanks for a hint and best regards, Frank

I'm running LrC 12.1 on Win10 and I don't have any previews in the AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom folder (which BTW is only 600KB).
I might be caused by Win11, but I really doubt it.
Could you post a screenshot of File Explorer showing your AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom folder ?

Lightroom does not, or should not, store previews in User-Me-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom, so those can be deleted.

I'm running LrC 12.1 on Win10 and I don't have any previews in the AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom folder (which BTW is only 600KB).
I might be caused by Win11, but I really doubt it.
Could you post a screenshot of File Explorer showing your AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom folder ?
Thanks for your answer! I had to move the previews files, because "C" was full and I couldn't work anymore. I moved both to a different drive ("F") and created new previews only for those images, I right now work on.
All the folders and files in ...-Pictures-Lightroom seem to be doubled in ...-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom.
The two LR_Katalog_Classic-v12 Previews.lrdata files have different sizes, the ...-Pictures-Lightroom one is 44 Gb, the ...-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom one is 14 Gb.

Attachments

• previews.jpg
    previews.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 54
All the folders and files in ...-Pictures-Lightroom seem to be doubled in ...-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom. I don't know, how and why. Do you mean, I can delete all of doubled ones?
Yes. Look carefully what these files are, but catalogs, previews, smart previews, etc (in short: the contents of your catalog folder) do not belong in ...-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom.

Yes. Look carefully what these files are, but catalogs, previews, smart previews, etc (in short: the contents of your catalog folder) do not belong in ...-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom.
Thank you for the advice! I did delete the files in ...-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Lightroom.
Could you please have a look to the ...-Pictures-Lightroom attached? Are there remains of older versions, which could be removed as well? I'm running version 12.1 now.

Attachments

• previews_2.jpg
    previews_2.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back