Wrong Displayed Capture Time on Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowfiend131

Lightroom version 4.1 displays the incorrect date for video files from my Panasonic GH2 (.mts files). I believe it is displaying the date I imported the files from my camera, instead of the capture time. I am noticing this when in the Library module, the wrong date is in each tile for each video. The time of day displayed seems random - videos I know I shot 3 minutes apart are listed as hours apart.

Lightroom imports the videos to the correct dated folder, and displays the videos in proper sequential order when mixed with photos from the same date, so Lightroom clearly knows what date and time the video was captured. When I look at the Metadata panel, there is no "capture date" field, and the only date field filled in is "shotdate" (which appears to have the correct date and time). Shotdate also matches the "date modified" field shown in windows explorer.

The same issue was discussed in an archived thread (but with no solution): http://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/showthread.php?12063-Video-shows-up-with-wrong-capture-time

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how current this problem is and if anyone still experiences it, but I found something interesting. When I click on a video in Lightroom that shows the import date instead of the capture date and then select Menu->Metadata->CaptureTime and "Change to file's creation date", the date then shows correctly in Lightroom. You can do this for any selection of files.

So.. its 2021, and Selwin's post above from 2014 just saved my bacon!

In this case, it is .MTS video files getting the wrong date information.
Despite the fact that the file system Creation and Modification dates are both the same in Finder (macOS) as the files internal "date digitized" (not really sure what metadata field is really in the .MTS file.)... Despite all of them matching.. Lightroom still decided to fill in the Capture Date/Time with the timestamp of when I IMPORTED the file into lightroom. Very wrong.

Fortunately, the method Menu->Metadata->CaptureTime and "Change to file's creation date", works for these files, lo this many years later.

Gratitude to Selwin for posting and to Victoria for keeping this great service alive.
Keith

So.. its 2021, and Selwin's post above from 2014 just saved my bacon!

In this case, it is .MTS video files getting the wrong date information.
Despite the fact that the file system Creation and Modification dates are both the same in Finder (macOS) as the files internal "date digitized" (not really sure what metadata field is really in the .MTS file.)... Despite all of them matching.. Lightroom still decided to fill in the Capture Date/Time with the timestamp of when I IMPORTED the file into lightroom. Very wrong.

Fortunately, the method Menu->Metadata->CaptureTime and "Change to file's creation date", works for these files, lo this many years later.

Gratitude to Selwin for posting and to Victoria for keeping this great service alive.
Keith
By the way... there are a couple of user-friendly tools that I use which can read many video/photo file formats and set the filesystem Creation/Modification dates to equal what is stored inside the file. After that, the Lightroom technique above can be applied.

1) Photodate to Filedate.app from Brattoo Propagana Software, brattoo.com. Free. Just does it. No preview of what it will do, no adjustments or choices.
2) A Better Finder Attributes. paid app, but allows control and preview of the results.

And .. of course, exiftool.

Totally forgotten about this topic. Glad it's still here (thanks indeed to Victoria & the team!) and that it was helpful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back