clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Originally, I got an iPad (32GB) thinking it could be used to replace my Windows Laptop as a mobile device. I found it less than suitable for my Powerpoint/Keynote Nature and Photography lectures that I was giving regularly at that time. It also failed miserably as an in field repository for my 36mp RAW images as 32GB would not consume a whole camera card of RAW images. Processing of RAW NEFs using the then current Adobe app was glacial. So, in 2012, I replaced that with a 500GB SSD 13" rMBP.

Advance to 2019, Lightroom Moble/Lightroom is a workable product and running Lightroom (Cloudy) on my MacOS in rMBP is a working solution for traveling photography.

Has anyone replaced the rMBP with a256GB iPad Pro and imported large RAW images from a camera card to Lightroom Mobile? What are your experiences and observations. What are the shortcomings of the iPad Pro?

Hi Cletus

I haven't replaced my MBP, but have used the iPad Pro quite extensively while away and found it very workable. Upload speeds obviously affect it in the field, but I found pretty good results with using the mobile app for processing (always tweak when back of course!)

I love the total portability of it compared to taking a laptop with me, even with the slimness of a MBP.

For the wife and I we replaced rMBPs attached to Mac thunderbolt monitors with 27" iMacs on the desktop and iPad Pros for use all mobile use (around the property, quick trips, and long multiple week photo trips overseas). With the iPad Pros we can import images and cull them in the field. Without Lr Classic for IOS, we don't do so much editing on the iPads. We bring the raw files home and import them into Lr Classic on the iMacs. Works for us.

It should become a lot more viable with iOS13, as you shouldn't have to import into Photos app before importing into LRm. I got a 256GB iPad Pro and I've travelled with it very happily, leaving the MBP at home. I do have a fast internet when I get home though, so it doesn't matter too much if I don't have fast internet while I'm away.

I have been running the iPadOS betas. Indeed the new Files functions makes it so much easier to move image on and off the iPad. We will use T5 SSDs for backup of images in the field once they are imported to iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back