• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalogs What if?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Harvey

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System: win 10
Lightroom Classic version: 7.1 [ 1148620 ]

I have my images on H: and catalog is connected to it. I have backups of images and catalog on other drives, but again catalog is connected to H:.
What if H: crashes and can not recover - how do I get edited images on to new drive from saved images and backup of catalog??

Is the catalog also on the H drive, or a different drive? Are the backups of the images on the other drives in the same folder hierarchy as the originals?

If the catalog is on a different drive, and H fails, and the backups are in the same folder hierarchy, you would remove H, mount one of the backup drives, start Lightroom, all folders and images on H will be listed as missing, simply right-click on the top level folder and select "Find Missing Folder". A file browser opens, use this to navigate to the backup drive and select the same top level folder. That will relink all the folders and images below that top level folder. Repeat as needed if you have more than one top level folder.

If the catalog is also on the H drive, remove H, mount a backup drive, navigate to the folder containing the backup catalog, double click on the catalog file to launch Lightroom, then do the same relinking of the missing folders as described above.

Yep. Just disconnect H, change the drive letter of your image backup disk to H and all is back to normal.

That works if the backup drive is a clone of the failed drive, but may not work if its not. My own backup drives contain more than just my Lightroom stuff, they are used for all my critical data which comes from a variety of drives. As such there's a small backup-created hierarchy above the image folders which precludes a simple drive letter/name switch (because the full path would be different to what Lightroom expects).

Either way, Robert should now have sufficient information to deal with a failure of his H drive.

Have the LR catalog on F drive and images on H drive (H is an external drv). Have backup images on several other external drives, but not clones of H only copy and paste to other drvs.

Have the LR catalog on F drive and images on H drive (H is an external drv). Have backup images on several other external drives, but not clones of H only copy and paste to other drvs.
That works fine too, but it does mean you'll have to do a little work with the 'Find Missing Folder' option if you ever need to use the backup.

From the information I have gotten it seems that changing a backup drive letter to H would be the easiest way to go. Does the backup drive need to be a clone or only copies from H?

From the information I have gotten it seems that changing a backup drive letter to H would be the easiest way to go. Does the backup drive need to be a clone or only copies from H?
The image folder hierarchy needs to be a clone. You can store other files on the drive too, however. Lightroom does not mind about that.

My next question is backing up images. At present I save my edited images (dng and tiff files) to H drv and then copy those images to other external drives. Is this a good method?
I just watched a video that backs up both catalog and images using export folder as catalog in LR - is this a better way?

My next question is backing up images. At present I save my edited images (dng and tiff files) to H drv and then copy those images to other external drives. Is this a good method?
I just watched a video that backs up both catalog and images using export folder as catalog in LR - is this a better way?
The best method is to use a backup or clone application. That will make sure that you backup all images, and after that it will only copy new images and changed images (but Lightroom doesn't normally change an image) to the backup disk. Doing it manually (using whatever method) may save you a little cash, but you run a serious risk of making mistakes, and when you find out you made a mistake it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back