• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Vignetting only to change tones and nothing els

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrandt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
Hello all,

I'm new to Lightroom, have been doing some basic color grading with it.
I've used the vignette effect a few times which works well.

However, I'm trying to apply a vignette to a picture as to draw focus to the character.
I only want to apply a vignette which impacts exposure, highlight shadows and blacks.

Currently, when I apply a vignette it vignettes the entire corrections I may have done on the picture such as temp, tint, saturation, etc.
Meaning, that on the outside of the vignette my color grading is not applied.

I'm sure its minor tweak. Where is it ?

Thank you !

I'm not sure I quite understand the difference, I thought that vignette was affecting exposure -- that does reduce the luminance of the result of corrections, but I do not understand quite the distinction in that and what you want.

However, one thing you might experiment with is the radial filter, as that allows you to get a similar effect and have specific correction sliders to apply over it, so you can adjust if you do not like the result.

I'd also query, are you using the post-crop vignette or the radial gradient, as the effect may be different.

Hello Ferguson and Victoria,

Thanks. I seem to have figured it out.
I was confused between the post-crop vignetting and the radial gradient which I now realized are not the same tool.
If I understand correctly, the post-crop vignetting is parts of the effects section but the radial gradient tool is part of the mask section ?

Alexandre

On my Lightroom 2015.14 it is written Mask.

Here is a screen shot. You can see at the center left.
If I click on the arrow on the right of effect, it opens the panel with all the settings for the radial gradient.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 12.37.04.jpg

The mask is part of the tool, not a section. It disappears if you haven't selected the tool. Anyway, it doesn't really matter how you call it.

BTW, I notice that you have collapsed the tool interface, so you can't change any of the sliders (they are invisible now). Click on the small black triangle on the right of 'custom' to get access to them.

Hey. Oh ok.

Yep, I know it is collapsed. Usually have it open.

Having worked a lot in Premier Pro with color grading, I find that tools panel in LR not that use friendly.
The top of it is confusing because you don't know which radial gradient you're editing. Or is there ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back