• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Using Lightroom Classic v 10.1.1 on older imac

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 10.1.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi All, Wondering if anyone could help. One of our imacs in the office is an older 27" mid 2010, it is lightening fast as it has an ssd drive and very competent. The issue is that you cannot update the macOS any higher than High sierra which is what it is running on now and Lightroon 10.1.1 will not update on High Sierra it needs to be Mojave or higher. He's the problem, the other newer macs in the office are all running newer macOS versions and Lightroom 10.1.1. As part of our workflow we open lightroom catalogues on different Macs, however, one a catalogue has been opened on the latest version of Lightroom the older mac running High Sierra will not open the newer lightroom catalogue and you cannot backwards save.
Does anyone know if there is any workaround to getting the latest macOS on a mid 2010 imac which obviously would solve the issue and allow me to update Lightroom to the latest version?

My other thought is: Would setting up Bootcamp running Windows 10 and just using Bootcamp to run the latest version of Lightroom, would this work?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Running bootcamp might get you to the latest version of Lightroom, that will depend on Adobe's system requirements on the Windows side. I don't have experience with Windows. Currently (this is march '21) Adobe requirements are: "Windows 10 (64-bit) Version 1903 or later". So you'll need to check the windows system requirements for 1903 and whether or not you iMac stacks up.
That said, a 2010 machine will at some point be a legacy product. Workarounds like these are mostly very temporary and one new OS version may tip the scale.
I have a 2010 Mac Pro Quad core with 16GB RAM which is running very smoothly still on High Sierra. I considered to upgrade the RAM to 48GB as it's crazy cheap nowadays for those old machines (I believe 160 bucks or so). But I just forgot about the whole thing when I discovered what you also found that Mojave is now the minimum.

Running bootcamp might get you to the latest version of Lightroom, that will depend on Adobe's system requirements on the Windows side. I don't have experience with Windows. Currently (this is march '21) Adobe requirements are: "Windows 10 (64-bit) Version 1903 or later". So you'll need to check the windows system requirements for 1903 and whether or not you iMac stacks up.
That said, a 2010 machine will at some point be a legacy product. Workarounds like these are mostly very temporary and one new OS version may tip the scale.
I have a 2010 Mac Pro Quad core with 16GB RAM which is running very smoothly still on High Sierra. I considered to upgrade the RAM to 48GB as it's crazy cheap nowadays for those old machines (I believe 160 bucks or so). But I just forgot about the whole thing when I discovered what you also found that Mojave is now the minimum.
:):)

Hello, I wonder if you had any joy. I am in the same position, mid 2010 iMac, High Sierra, no metal support but with an excellent processor, SSD and memory. LR 6.12 runs perfectly well.
Only problem is my new Fuji XT3 camera RAW files can't load. I think Camera RAW 9.12 is problem and I'd happily upgrade LR to get this.
Is this possible, can I turn off (Metal) GPU acceleration and still install and use a LR version greater than 6.12 ?
I don't want to go down a Windows route and new hardware not an option
Any help or advice much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Get the latest free Adobe DNG converter and use it to convert your raw files to DNGs. You can then import those DNGs to your LR 6.12.

Thanks for quick reply Hal, it appears the DNG converter needs 10.14 or above and Adobe doesn't seem to have older versions.
I did read that Adobe didn't handle the RAF conversion terribly well also. Is this true for an older version of DNG converter (or for newer versions of Lightroom for that matter - I was hoping they'd fixed it by now)
Thanks again,
Mike

Thanks for quick reply Hal, it appears the DNG converter needs 10.14 or above and Adobe doesn't seem to have older versions.
I did read that Adobe didn't handle the RAF conversion terribly well also. Is this true for an older version of DNG converter (or for newer versions of Lightroom for that matter - I was hoping they'd fixed it by now)
Thanks again,
Mike
The current version of the Adobe DNG Converter is 13.2. It’s a free download.
when you do the conversion there is an option to select how far back you wish the DNG’s to be compatible?

The option is found in DNG Converter preferences > compatibility. see the screen capture.
Screenshot 2021-05-01 at 6.58.57 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back