• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Syncing from Lightroom (iPad) - Smart Previews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevevp

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have recently synced about 3,500 photos to my LR Classic from LR on my iPad which I used when I was travelling.
When I scroll through the images in the LR Classic grid view there is a grey box shown during a delay while the thumbnails load up (please see image below). It is annoying (I have a reasonably new, fast, PC)! Is it because LR Classic does not build smart previews when it syncs to the desktop in the same way it does for direct imports? Is there anything I can do about it?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

LR_previews.jpg

Try just building Previews. My understanding is this won't happen automatically, it's not an Import, it's effectively a sync.

Many thanks for your replies. That seems to have fixed it.
I guess at sometime I'm going to have to move over to LR from LR Classic if I want to keep using my iPad when I'm travelling. I certainly seem to have a problem everytime I do a major trip and try and sync things back when I return.

You have to keep in mind what it's doing when you have files in LR and then want to see/open them in LR Classic. It isn't an import as Paul said above, it's a different program that is syncing up with LR in the Cloud. It needs time to download the originals from LR and build previews, then delete originals from the cloud and replace with Smart Previews - of course, depending on your settings. I do this quite frequently and when I start up LR Classic I just let it sit for a while and go do something else while it does its thing. Works great just takes some time the first time when there are lots of new photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back