• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Switching photos to a new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsinsf

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom version 10.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
My boot drive is a 1 TB drive on a 2013 Mac Pro (OS 11.5). My photos are located on a spinning external hard drive. I have a new external SSD hard drive and have cloned my external spinning drive onto the SSD. I want the SSD and its contents to be in LR and get rid of the spinning hard drive. How do I do this?

My boot drive is a 1 TB drive on a 2013 Mac Pro (OS 11.5). My photos are located on a spinning external hard drive. I have a new external SSD hard drive and have cloned my external spinning drive onto the SSD. I want the SSD and its contents to be in LR and get rid of the spinning hard drive. How do I do this?

The simplest solution for the Mac would be to give the new SSD the same volume name as the old HDD. Unmount or rename the HDD and mount the SSD. On start up, Lightroom will see the new volume as the old volume because the names are the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I tried doing that, but for some unexplical reason most of the photos show up but about 10% have no thumbnail image and the dreaded question mark indicating that the original files cannot be found. Any suggestions?

Thanks. I tried doing that, but for some unexplical reason most of the photos show up but about 10% have no thumbnail image and the dreaded question mark indicating that the original files cannot be found. Any suggestions?

If you copied the folder structure from the old HDD, then the folder structure should be identical. And nothin would appear missing. You need to make sure that you are still opening the original master catalog from the original location.

You might post a screen shot of the Folder panel of the master catalog showing the Volume that is at issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I started over. Erased and reformatted the new drive and then cloned it again and changed the names as you suggested. This time it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back