• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Starting over in Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdoran3

Lightroom Version Number
Classic via subscription
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi,
My Lightroom files and catalogs are a disaster and not well organized. I would simply like reimport all my image with one central catalogue and one root director of files. 100% of images are kept on an external drive. My questions is, what are the steps/files that need to be removed so that I could re-import all of my images to Lightroom. Thank you!

Re-importing everything is usually not a good idea. You lose all your edits and added metadata such as keywords. And you will lose things like collection memberships and other organisation. Please describe your situation in a bit more detail, so we can give you better advice than to start all over.

Thank you Johan for your response. As indicated, I have thousands of images that I have imported over the years. They are in various catalogues and locations. The files for the most part have not be edited, have not been put into collection nor keywords added. I plan to proceed with doing this with all of my images and that is why I want to re-import. I am not losing any prior work. I know this goes against the grain of Lightroom, but the re-import is important to me. Hope that makes sense. Thank you again for your time and I look forward to your response.
Tom

Just create a new catalogue: File->New Catalog...

Then import your images into it.

As someone who has come to regret it, I would suggest sticking with your current catalogue and moving files and folders around inside it. I'm still only part way through my reimport which was mainly to realign directories.

Now a caveat to that is that if you are renaming all your files while importing, there may be a justification for stating over.

How many catalogues do you have?
You can also merge multiple catalogues. That way you maintain the work that you have already done.

If you are going to really start fresh, be sure you consolidate all those photo's & folders into a single location before you have Lightroom take over. That will make the future a bit easier for you. And then work out a good naming scheme before you start.

And another thought - it won't hurt to back up everything you currently have before you start over.

If from within your existing catalogs you do a "Save Metadata to File" (ctrl +S on a pc) on all your photos then when you reimport you should be able to salvage most of the editing / keywording information. Also, like Jim said above, before you reimport get all your files sorted into a tidy and logical folder structure.

Hmmm, why all the advice to organise before importing into Lightroom? Get Lightroom to do the organisation for you - create a single new "master" catalog, import your images using either the "Move" or "Copy" option (not "Add"), and set the destination to be organised by date. Create a logical file-renaming scheme for the imports, if you wish. Lightroom will then put all your images into a nice date-based structure. Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back