• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Spinning blue ball at import folder selction--perpetual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortificatio

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit
Exact Lightroom Version 7.1 64 bit
Running AMD 8 core with 16 gigs onboard memory and ssd drive(s) and connected NAS.

I downloaded the most recent version of Lightroom 7.1. I had virus off and did the upgrade. Could not do it from the cloud in safe mode with networking for some reason. In general very slow. When I get to importing it takes me to the select which folder to pull from and this is a slow nightmare and usually just hangs there with spinning blue ball and a query whether I would like to close or remain open until it decides to work. I did uninstall and reinstall but no changes. I have a lot of crap in my catalog folder--multiple similar catalogs with differing names and associated helper files. I do not know if I created my own bottle neck or what. I will try to send screenshot of catalog folder soon. My inclination is to throw out catalogs and start again but I have no idea what the correct process is to safeguard already completed work on the images. Any help at detangling would be appreciated.

One way to narrow down the source of the problem would be to make a small test catalog in an older version of Lightroom, then try to open that in LR 7.1 .

I suppose I can revert back to earlier version, save catalog, and then try to open in LR 7.1. However doesn't LR 7.1 do some fancy conversion or update of older catalogs? I will try.

I'm just suggesting that you can narrow down the problem with a test catalog; it can contain only a few photos. The logic is that if LR 7.1 can open the test catalog, then it suggests that there is a problem with the catalog(s) you want to use. If it can't open a simple test catalog, then the problem is most likely with your installation of LR 7.1 .

I have a similar problem and have had it for a couple of weeks. Since this started, I have:
  • freed some disk space - now around 200GB free
  • optimized catalog
  • made sure I have the latest version of Lightroom
  • upgraded bios of computer to latest version
  • ran the Intel sofware updater
  • ran the Lenovo software updater
  • had PC Health Adviser check/fix the regitstry
  • defragmented the disk - disk fragmentation is now at 2%
None of it helps.
My symptoms:
  • click Import
  • select a folder (the folder in question has two images in it)
  • the images display all selected
  • I deselect one image
  • i get the blue circle - takes about 3 minutes to deselect the image
  • Lightroom is still frozen
  • after about two minutes I can click on import
apart from this Lightroom works fine. Developing is responsive, Gallery/Library reacts fast. All my other applications work fine. CPU/Memory/Disk activities are low. What is Lightroom doing when I click on deselect? Why does it take so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back