• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

should I be using folders or collections to delete unwanted photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryb1717

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have read that after importing new shots you should create a collection and after that you should stay away from the folders since they are your actual picture files.

In library grid mode, as I go through the shots to either delete or save them, I have a problem.

If I open the collection, and delete my unwanted pictures, they are removed from my collection but remain in my folder. If I open the folder I run the risk of deleting the incorrect file.

Is there a work around to fix this?

Hi

No idea why you would stay away from the folders, Collections are intended as what they say - a collection of photos for various reasons.

Probably the majority of users use the rejected flag when running through to decide what to delete - see if this post helps:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/rating-workflow-infographic/

If I open the folder I run the risk of deleting the incorrect file.
Why would you run that risk? It's the same file as the one you see in the collection(s)...

By the way: the best method (IMHO) is to set the 'Reject' flag on each photo you want to delete. You can do that in a collection or in a smart collection. Just press the 'X' key. Then when you want to delete all rejected photos, you select the 'All Photographs' collection and choose 'Photo - Delete Rejected Photos'. You will get the dialog that asks you if you want to delete them from the catalog only or also from disk.

If I open the collection, and delete my unwanted pictures, they are removed from my collection but remain in my folder. If I open the folder I run the risk of deleting the incorrect file.

Is there a work around to fix this?
The first step and safest is to simply flag the images that you want to delete with a "x" reject flag . Then from the "All Photographs" Special collection in the Catalog panel you can filter on only rejected images, review and then delete from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back