• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Setting up right hand panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeit65

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 2019cc 8.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Im looking some help with setting up the right hand panels when i click import, i need to know what to tick or untick or what to include , the panels are File Handling, File renamaing, apply during import and finally detination. etc TIA.

All of that will be covered in Victoria's free Quick Start Guide, so I suggest you download that first and have a quick read.

There are two ways of doing that. The first way is to import an image, setup lens corrections for that image in the develop module, and then click the ‘Reset’ button while holding down the Alt-key. That will give you a dialog where one of the options is to change the camera defaults to the current settings, meaning the lens corrections become part of the camera defaults. You need to do this for each camera. From now on all newly imported images will have lens corrections set.

The second way starts the same, but instead of adding the lens corrections to the camera defaults, you save them as a new preset. Then you apply this preset during import. This will work with all cameras, so you only have to make one preset.

Thanks, I tried your first suggestion above it works a treat . this might sound stupid question but if you only have one camera do you only have to do lens correction once and not for every lens?

Thanks, I tried your first suggestion above it works a treat . this might sound stupid question but if you only have one camera do you only have to do lens correction once and not for every lens?
You set up 'enable lens corrections' for the camera, so this works with any lens.

I use a master file for each camera when I set this up. This way I can keep track of my Default Develop Settings which apply Lens Corrections, CA Removal and my Clarity start point at import. Auto does not adjust Clarity. When I make a change to the master file I click on Develop - Set Default Settings and apply.

I keep my files in on external drive. I keep my master files on a the HD. It can be any RAW file and doesn't even need to be developed. It is just a reference to what you want to to auto apply at import like Lens Corrections or anything else you want to apply at import. If you make a change to anything it applies it at import as long is you update the Default Develop Settings. First go into the presets and choose how you want it to work (image attached). I forgot to say I have my own sharpening level as well. LR defaults to 40 and I'm a little higher.

I got the idea for master files when I had NR and sharpening auto apply based on ISO. I used to have specific values for each ISO - 100, 200, 400, 800 and so on - for each camera. So I had about 10 files for each camera body. Trying to maintain it if I wanted to make a change was a nightmare before setting up master files. Now I only have one per camera because I use this plug-in for NR.

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/bulk-develop

Attachments

• wew.jpg
    wew.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
When you select Develop - Set Default Settings this screen shows up. Only adjust what you want to auto import on your master file before you Update To Current Settings because it will make all the changes you selected when you import new RAW files. For instance if you decide to set 60 for sharpening and update it all your files will import at 60.

Attachments

• ee.jpg
    ee.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 157
You just select an image and decide that this is your master file from now on?...

Yes. My master file for each camera is a poorly exposed and blurry image of my kitchen. Doesn't matter because the only function it serves is to apply Lens Corrections, CA, Clarity at +12 and sharpening at 50 at import . Those are just base the starts and and then I start to work on the files.

Using a master file may be helpful, but it's not really needed. If you select any image and press the 'Reset' button in the Develop module, then you will have such a 'master': an image with only the current camera defaults applied to it.

Not needed but I found it very helpful when I had multiple files for each ISO. Much easier to keep track of any changes. If I wanted to make a change that effected 10 different ISO values per camera I would have had to look for them from different events. Now I only use one file per camera but I still prefer it. I just find it more organized and the history shows what changes were made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back