Save metadata in videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleni

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi there,

I am a lightroom user and I catalogue videos along with my photos. In my workflow, I add a variety of metadata in my all my files, photos and videos. These are keywords, ratings, GPS info etc.

I recently discovered that, when it comes to the videos, the only place I can read and use this metadata is only within lightroom. Bridge doesn't even recognise them.

Lightroom has no way of witting metadata on videos, embedded or xmp.

I contacted Adobe and they told me that I will have to re-write all the metadata in the new software. (I was going to use Bridge but I am now considering a new video cataloguing software).

But I have a lot of work done on nearly 5,000 videos. I am looking for a solution to extract that information from the files or write it on them. Are there any relevant plug-ins or workarounds to do this?

I find this very frustrating indeed, and I'm not sure there is a workaround that's better than using something else....

In my case, I don't do so much video that it's a big problem. Bridge can write metadata to videos, and Lightroom will read it, so I enter video metadata in Bridge, then read it into Lightroom. Actually, I do something a little more - because I usually shoot stills and video at the same subject, I enter photos' metadata first in Lr, then sync in to the video in Bridge.

I recently experimented with a plugin that would use Exiftools to update videos from Lightroom, but Exiftools didn't seem able to do so. So other than Bridge, I don't see a good way forward.

John

John, can your plug-in export to CSV or is my memory fooling me?

ListView can do so, Victoria, so I imagine that's what was on your mind. Search & Replace is purely about copying stuff around within Lr.

John

I had another look at using Exiftools to write metadata into common video formats like MOV, mp4. The code completes successfully but seems to write my keywords as a text string to the video files' PDF properties. As a result, apps like PhotoMechanic, Adobe Bridge or Lightroom etc, don't detect the keywords written to the file.

The lack of this capability annoys me, so I've contacted the developer of Exiftools (as well as having a private whine to Adobe!). If I can get it working, I'll add it to my CaptureTimeToExif tools plugin.

UPDATE:
Of course, moments after writing this I figured out how to do it.... I'll have to experiment a little but at the moment I think I'll support a limited number of fields - title, headline, job, caption, country-location, flat keywords (hierarchy prob too difficult), GPS. Any thoughts?

John

Last edited:
I know this thread is from 2 years ago, but I'm having the same problem. LR still won't write metadata back to a video file (ProRes on Mac in my case). Worse still, it can't even re-read metadata back from the video. Bridge does it all, so the only way to effectively edit metadata is to do it in Bridge and re-import the file back into LR.

John Beardy's CaptureTimeToExif tool is able to edit the capture time, but that's all. It would be helpful if it could change the file's create/modify times, but that doesn't appear to work for me - unless I'm doing something wrong.

I'm using the current LR Classic CC and CaptureTimeToExif, so it's extremely disappointing that Adobe has failed to address this matter. So my question is; is this still the case, or am I missing something here?

No, there is no progress from Adobe, or from me. I have my own plugin now which reads and writes video metadata using Exiftool, but it's part of another plugin. I use it myself and have found it helpful and reliable, so I'll have a think about peeling it off and making it standalone.

For a plugin-free way to edit video metadata, I would just use Adobe Bridge and reimport. And yes, if Adobe can do video metadata with Bridge, why the...

Last edited:
Coming back to this thread. I use the Search, Replace, Transfer tool to update the Caption metadata with the Folder name. I then save the metadata into my photos. I've recently added Videos to my catalog and the Search, Replace, Transfer works great for getting the Folder into the Caption in Lightroom. But I don't have a way to write that Caption into the metadata. I looked at using the Bridge workflow John mentions above, but that requires manually editing each video (rather than using Search, Replace, Transfer). Any updates on a Lightroom tool that will write metadata (specifically the Caption) into video files?

I should just throw open a beta test for my video plugin, shouldn't I? It writes and reads, and I've been using it for the last couple of years. Watch this space.....

Have you seen this post? I needed to release it quietly, and a couple of details need fixing, but it's now available.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back