• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Restoring files, getting files recognized by LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

anglfan-me

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
..so I had my first EHD go b/o... I received my restore files/EHD from Backblaze and will be first copying my files from the restore to my new EHD.. Q#1: do I name my new EHD the same as my one that went b/o..?.. I am thinking in regards to when I point Lightroom to the files to recognize them. I hope I made myself clear:rolleyes:
Unless you think otherwise and can help with further, I guess I should just start here as it will take a couple+ days to copy them as I have 5TB photos to restore before getting LR to locate them from new drive.
Many many thanks!!!!!!

If you name the name disk the same as the old one, and put the images in the same folder structure, Lightroom will never know what happened and will happily continue with the new disk.

Johan's suggestion is best. However, if there does turn out to be discrepancy between the old and new drive's naming and folder structures you will have to let LR know the new names and paths. This is very easy if all the image folders descend from a single parent folder as you just have to point LR to that master folder and it will do the whole scene (again assuming that the subfolders haven't been renamed).

I was faced with the same problem and misunderstood what I was told - I stupidly renamed the folder into which I was importing my Backblaze restore 'MyBook' the same as my new external HD. The restored folders copied across ( though some of the folders had ectopic files of other dates) but of course are not linked to LR. As soon as I realised the mistake I restored the name of the folder to which I was importing to 'drobo' ( my failed ext. HD was a drobo) and the new ext HD the same, 'drobo'. Now no ext HD appears in the catalog / folders pane at all, only my Mac HD; all the folders seem to have transferred into the new ext HD, but nothing, not even folders , is visible in LR.
If I start again with another new ext HD and a backed up copy of my LR catalog in case that has been corrupted, should that work? Or what else do you advise? ( my set up is importing from the backblaze hHDs , thru LR ( I hope!! ) on my iMAC to the new ext HD. 8.8 Tb in total. many thanks

Send screen shot of the LR Folders Panel and a screen shot from Finder showing the drive containing the images including the folder structure leading to the images.

Thanks for the prompt reply. By chance, discussing the problem with a friend today I was put in touch with a local professional photographer with LR expertise who will get into my computer by zoom and advise. Looks like we will reformat the new external HD and do the import again as a first step. For the moment I will not take up your time, but many thanks, and as a new member of LR Queen I would like to say how impressed I have been by how you work. If I get stuck, I will come back to you. bruce ponder

Thanks for the prompt reply. By chance, discussing the problem with a friend today I was put in touch with a local professional photographer with LR expertise who will get into my computer by zoom and advise. Looks like we will reformat the new external HD and do the import again as a first step. For the moment I will not take up your time, but many thanks, and as a new member of LR Queen I would like to say how impressed I have been by how you work. If I get stuck, I will come back to you. bruce ponder
Above sounds like a bad idea, because it sounds as if you and he are planning to start from scratch again. That will make you lose all edits. If you still have a copy of your catalog, then do not go down this path.

If you name the name disk the same as the old one, and put the images in the same folder structure, Lightroom will never know what happened and will happily continue with the new disk.
thank you!!!
i did go ahead before i got your response and started the 'copy' of my files on new EHD w a slightly diff name... and when i started the copy process i stayed off my computer for couple days to let it do so with zero interruption.. so that is why i am responding days later but i am grateful for your input! thank you!

Johan's suggestion is best. However, if there does turn out to be discrepancy between the old and new drive's naming and folder structures you will have to let LR know the new names and paths. This is very easy if all the image folders descend from a single parent folder as you just have to point LR to that master folder and it will do the whole scene (again assuming that the subfolders haven't been renamed).

i did change the name slightly.. i am attaching pics to show you name of new EHD (...is #3...) and my EHD that went bad was .....3B..... .
also incl pics of how my LR folder looks which is same as new EHD....
and i stepped aside fr my computer til the copy process was completed which took a couple days so that's why it's been a minute since i replied.. i'm grateful for your reply and time!

Attachments

• 8CFA4148-F6C8-461B-9657-269202E79F73.jpeg
    8CFA4148-F6C8-461B-9657-269202E79F73.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 123
  • D3174E5C-289F-49D8-9FA8-12F05590E20D.jpeg
    D3174E5C-289F-49D8-9FA8-12F05590E20D.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 0A496223-76C9-4C4C-820B-D74F00FB0C91.jpeg
    0A496223-76C9-4C4C-820B-D74F00FB0C91.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 114
Thank you!! I was able to get files recognized by LRoom:)
Clicked Lightroom Photos in LR under the missing EHD.. chose Find Missing Folder.. went up to my new EHD and clicked on Lightroom Photos there and it found them!.. also it changed the EHD name to the new which was great!
Such a nerve racking scenario!! but grateful it worked out!
Thanx again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back