Recommendation for best monitor for photo editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will I be able to see Epson generic paper profiles under other and use LR for printing not printer mang with LR6.14 and this Epson printer ?
Hi Don. My understanding, and I will let the guru's correct me if I'm wrong, is that the profiling for monitors is separate from the profiles used in printing. That means if you should be calibrating your monitor to get a profile to load into your monitor's video if you are not doing so already. I use a Spyder 4 for screen calibrating. The monitor and printer will cover different colour gamuts with some overlapping and some exclusions.

When you install the XP-15000, the profiles for the Epson printers are automatically loaded and available to programs like LR. The only thing I've had to do is guess at matching some of the names of the profile to the paper name. Epson used abbreviations in the profiles.

Where profiles meet in LR (I believe) is in soft proofing where LR attempts to show you what your print will look like on the monitor. I don't use this at the moment since I find the print matches very close to the screen rendering. There is also the different between the reflective nature of prints versus the colour generation light source of a monitor. Couple that with colour management gamut transformation from screen to print profiles and some changes are expected.

In terms of printing, I would not suspect you would have any problems with a newer problem like the XP-15000. When I made the jump from LR6 to LR Classic I did have problems with my older Epson 1400. LR for some reason did not process the pictures properly. I had to hand off colour management to the printer itself rather than letting LR manage colour management.

Thanks, Paul. Yea, to be clear was only talking about the generic Epson ICC paper profiles that are required to select in LR under other in LR 6.14 print mode to let LR manage colors. Think they are stored in C:\Windows\System32\Spool\drivers\color
As far as monitor I have a HP LP2475w and will have to calibrate it with my Xrite i1display Pro and that will be fun with the new
Epson XP-15000. LOL
Don

Will I be able to see Epson generic paper profiles under other and use LR for printing not printer mang with LR6.14 and this Epson printer ?

This is primarily a function of your OS and having the correct print driver software installed. Then in Lightroom you will need to make them visible by adding them to Lightroom's internal profile list.

You do this while in the Print module, Print Job tab, Color Management, Profile pull down menu. Open that and at the bottom there is an option "Other". select that and you will get a dialog taking you to a list of all the profiles that Lightroom can see. After installing the correct driver you can than select which paper options you want to use.

They will then be always included in the Profile: pull down menu.

-louie

generic Epson ICC paper profiles that are required to select in LR under other in LR 6.14
These should have been automatically loaded when you installed the driver and software for the 15000.

I have a HP LP2475w and will have to calibrate it with my Xrite i1display Pro and that will be fun with the new
Epson XP-15000
There is no coorelation between calibrating your HO monitor using Xrite with your print. They are separate profiles.

This is primarily a function of your OS and having the correct print driver software installed. Then in Lightroom you will need to make them visible by adding them to Lightroom's internal profile list.

You do this while in the Print module, Print Job tab, Color Management, Profile pull down menu. Open that and at the bottom there is an option "Other". select that and you will get a dialog taking you to a list of all the profiles that Lightroom can see. After installing the correct driver you can than select which paper options you want to use.

They will then be always included in the Profile: pull down menu.

-louie
Thanks, Louie. Yea, I always got better results with my Epson 1400 letting Lightroom do color management not the printer. Some reviews of the XP 15000 said they could not print with LR so thought it strange.
Don

I always got better results with my Epson 1400 letting Lightroom do color management not the printer. Some reviews of the XP 15000 said they could not print with LR so thought it strange.
I had problems when I upgraded from LR6 to LR Classic. LR no longer worked with profiles properly. I had to let the 1400 manage colour. I now have an XP 15000 and have no problems with LR Classic managing colour

I am very happy with the Epson XP 15000. Printed great richer colors than my old Epson 1400 and profiles installed correctly on C drive.
Might check out Red River now but this printer matched on Epson UP Glossy paper perfect to my old HP LP2474w wide gamut monitor.
Don

Woodie-chilling.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back