PS CC Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unklejon

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Really not sure where to post this so took a chance:

OK I have to admit I am not the brightest button in the box as they say but I am now getting more confused by CC than ever. When PS CC first hit the headlines we were told there were no plans for LR to go that way. Now I am offered a $9.99 a month plans for Photoshop CC for photographers which includes Lightroom. So am I now being expected to suck my gut in and accept that both the copy of PS CS6 and LR5 I bought have now been superseded? Can anyone tell me the ramifications of this sudden tying of LR to CC please? I have already been dumped on by Adobe with the new upgrades to CC which have not been shared with new CS6 users are we going to see the same with LR whereby we invest all our efforts into software we will never own, so when guys like me - and there are a lot - who are retired no longer can afford the monthly subscription we lose everything? Is LR5 still going to be supported as a standalone product? that certainly did not happen with CS6? As ever I am not sure which way to jump for the best the last decision cost me £700 ... any thoughts or advice welcome

"Shiny buttons",
All you are looking at from Adobe are different package deals. LR is still being sold as a perpetual license so what you have now in LR5 is not being superseded. If you own a CS3 or later license, the $9.99/mo deal allows you to rent both LR 5 and PS14 only, so you do not need to rent the whole creative cloud menagerie for $50/mo. The Creative Cloud subscription has always given you PS14 and LR and a bunch of other apps that you likely do not need

Is LR5 still going to be supported as a standalone product?

Don't worry, I haven't heard even a hint that's going to change.

If you use Photoshop a lot, then the new photographer's bundle is a really good deal and including Lightroom's just a bonus. If you don't use it too much, CS6 will likely keep you going for quite some years.

OK thanks but what I really meant to ask was "if I go with the new CC offering do I use the Lightroom they offer of stick with my own LR5.2 - do I have a choice? will I have to transfer all my catalogues? will I miss out on LR5 updates to my original version? Will my original LR5 be updated? If they are keeping a separate non CC version of Lightroom why include it in the CC bundle? why not make it two separate options? This raises more questions than it provides answers.

The frequency of my use of PS is not the issue as to go CC or not, its the added functionality that comes with PS CC that matter. I am learning PS but more and more the training on the web / you tube is veering on to using methods only available in PS CC such as using smart objects and dipping in and out of ACR. It gets depressing getting halfway through a training video to find you cannot do the next bit because you are not CC. I had steeled myself to change to PS CC but the whole LR thing muddies the water for me...

The $9.99 bundle offers a particular group of PS users an opportunity to rent PS14 AND LR5 It is the same LR that you have now and the same PS14 being sold as Creative Cloud. If you qualify for the bundle and decide to rent the bundle, you do not need to reinstall LR5 and nothing changes with LR. You do get a subscriber link to D/L PS14. You will also install the special Creative Cloud monitor app that will keep PS (and presumably LR) up to date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back