Original RAW file to JPEG (Resolution change)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi everyone,

New on the scene here.
I'm really a beginner for using LR. Haven't touched many options except the developing and exporting.

I've just hit a snag here though. I've always been exporting the developed original size RAW file to JPEG. The resolution has always converted as usual until now. I have not changed image size intentionally. My concern is not about how JPEG files are smaller. My question is about how the resolution decreases each time I export to jpeg now.

Before it was 6000x4000 raw to 6000x4000 JPEG
Now its 6000x4000 RAW TO 2560X1707 JPEG

For the 6000x4000 JPEG pictures that were exported before, and try to re-export from the original RAW file in LR again, I get 2560x1707.

If someone has any idea as to what may have gone wrong, I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Jun

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Two immediate possibilities:

1. Cropping, i.e. you've cropped the image (export will only export the cropped portion, not the original full-size).

2. Export settings: In the "Image Sizing" section of the Export Dialog, is the "Resize to Fit:" option checked? If so, what sizing options have been specified?

Thanks for such a quick reply!

1) I remember cropping an image before but I didn't think it applied to all of my images. Under the settings menu, I see a greyed out checkmark option called "constrain aspect ratio". If thats the problem, how can I reset it?

2) As for the resizing to fit, its not checked.

Thank you for your help

I think it's Smart Previews! Check to make sure the images you are exporting are online (if they're offline they'll have an exclamation mark top right of the Grid thumbnails), I think you'll find them offline so you're actually exporting the Smart Preview (which is 2560x1707 pixels on a 3x2 aspect ratio image).

I think you are right! When I click the top right of the thumbnail, it asks for me to find original image.
I was doing some organizing of the files previously, so now the pics in LR can not relocate where the original pictures went, so its using the smart previews.

Do I have locate the path of the pics in LR to where the actual files are located on my external one by one, or is there a way to batch locate all my pics to where they have been relocated?

Thanks a million

If you reorganised by folder, rather than individual pictures, then the folders in the Folders Panel will also have a "?" mark. If so, you can right-click on the missing folder and select "Find Missing Folder", then in the resulting file browser window you navigate to and select the folder in it's new location.

But if you've just moved individual files around, yep you might have to relocate them one by one.

As you now realise, moving pictures around outside Lightroom is usually a bad idea....

Many thanks for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back