• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Not sure where to start ... I've pretty much jacked up LightRoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

akfishinrn

Wandering Bob
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Adobe Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi All,

I've had LR since it began, but never used it. Recently, I made The Leap ... I purchased a new MBP and subscription to LR Bundle. While on a Photo workshop in Indonesia, I began to try LR, but had no access to the Net, so got varying suggestions from many people. Too many cooks.

I was naming folders by date, a now see that's a big No No! I have many folders that I see previews for images, but can't seem to find the images themselves. So after much time on YouTube, I see how to locate the images, however it appears I need to do that for each image ... there 20,000+!!!

To further add to the problem, somewhere along the way, someone suggested I Import using "copy as DNG", which is where I think the problems started. I have the original files backed up in 2 places and am considering just removing the folders and re-importing them. I just don't see how to fix this without someone sitting right here. But, here I am.

I was instructed not to update to Catalina before a very long trip due to compatibility issues and still see warnings. Should I stay with Mojave for the time being?

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to straighten this out and then offering a detailed process for workflow?

Thanks in advance,

Wandering Bob

Hi and welcome to the Forums!

Re-linking images is best done at the highest folder level you can - check the blog here:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/
Unless you're about to go on a trip (in which case no major changes are a good idea!) many of us are running Catalina quite happily. There were issues initially, but both Catalina and Classic have had various fixes and play well together now.

Hi and welcome to the Forums!

Re-linking images is best done at the highest folder level you can - check the blog here:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/
Unless you're about to go on a trip (in which case no major changes are a good idea!) many of us are running Catalina quite happily. There were issues initially, but both Catalina and Classic have had various fixes and play well together now.

Thanks for the welcome, Paul.

Wish I had access to this Forum and e-books available a few months ago. I've downloaded Victoria's: Lightroom Classic – Quick Start eBook
But, I guess I'm too late.

I'll give the missing photos link a go, but it's more in-depth than that. Time to get busy, but think it really would be far easier to start over. I have a few amazing, perfect, exceptional photos I have edited ... Haha, but have not really done much editing to speak of.

Good to hear about Catalina.

I'm going nowhere soon! It was fun trying to get home from Sri Lanka, flight cancellations, reschedules and arrival at different destinations. Happy to be home!

OK, so I understand what I should have done, but no idea how to fix it.

This is SOOOO much in depth than finding photos! I know they are there, I know they are backed up.

I have a new 13" MBP as of October, I downloaded LR and PS just before traveling for 4 out of 5 months. And have gotten so many suggestions from people that use LR differently.

I have only edited a few images, but am completely serious about deleting LR and starting over. IS there a way to do that so that any image that I add later will not be picked up "improperly" by LR.

My images are backed up to my desktop and a portable external drive. My MBP's HD has 2 TB of storage ... it hardly runs as I only have 86 GB of free space. I need to just move them off the MBP to an external HD. I have a new 2 TB desktop and a 4TB portable, both only used since October. I'd be willing to delete one, reformat it and make that a dedicated LB Image hards drive.

I understand with time, this can be sorted, but after a month of YouTube vids and many suggestions on how to conduct WorkFlow techniques, this is seriously messed up. Again, with out a sit down one on one session (or 10), to sort this out, I'd like to start over.

What would be the best way to do this?

Please don't think I'm not appreciative, but I want to move on. I don't want to spend weeks attempting to fix this replying to helpful suggestions. I could spend that time learning to properly use LR for photo editing.

Suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back