Modifying the default way LR assigns "copy names"

Status
Not open for further replies.

_MZ_

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
I don't think this is possible and it's really not a big deal. I thought I'd ask just in case.

When you create a virtual copy of an image, Lightroom puts "Copy 1" in the 'Copy Name' metadata field.
Is there any way to modify this behavior? I would only be interested in assigning a 'Copy Name' that is derived from the actual filename or some other attribute, not simply changing the "Copy 1" to a different, 'default' constant.

Like I said, mostly I'm just curious if it's possible.

I change them in the metadata section of Library...

Anthony.

So do I and it's super easy but if this step can be automated, then - why not save a couple seconds here and there, which would amount to hours.. eventually.

Again, I know that this is a long shot.

No, but you can update them all in one go, if you're setting multiple photos to the same value. Out of interest, what would you put in there instead?

No, but you can update them all in one go, if you're setting multiple photos to the same value. Out of interest, what would you put in there instead?

A copy of the original filename + suffix... So no.... your suggestion wouldn't work for me but thanks! It's kind of obvious that it's possible to change multiple "copy names" in one go but I didn't actually realize it.

Why the original filename? The original filename still exists, can be shown in the Metadata panel and in the Grid view, and can be used when exporting the finished files, so I'm interested in your workflow.

Why the original filename? The original filename still exists, can be shown in the Metadata panel and in the Grid view, and can be used when exporting the finished files, so I'm interested in your workflow.
I agree; perhaps if you need that info perhaps it's better stored in an export, or elsewhere in Lr. For example, I caption some virtual copies with info about why I have that copy, like "cropped for newsletter" or something. And there are tools for metadata like that (or keywords or other IPTC tags) that might make it easy to apply batch changes, filter, sort, etc. It all depends on why you are adding the original filename to the copy name field (since the original filename is already listed on the copy), what the suffix is, and how you plan to use the info.

Like the other gentleman states, the "copy names" of my virtual copies are indicative of their nature. I have different codes for crops and other things. When I export virtual copies, I select the copy names to be used as the filenames. Later down the road I'm able to tell what kind of version of the photo it is, just by looking at the filename. Plus, it's super-convenient for dealing with virtual copies in Lightroom. Very often the virtual copies do not appear next to the originals or other virtual copies of the same photo, i.e. they are in different collections. So I have nothing to compare them to (visually). I find that being able to tell what kind of photo I have in front of me just by 'decoding' the 'File Name' / 'Copy Name', saves me quite a bit of time, well worth the trouble of assigning a meaningful, standardized and concise 'Copy Name' to every virtual copy.

The generic "Copy 1" is just that: generic. It is meant to be changed. And I'm glad that it can be! I just wish there was the option of adding some automated logic to this step. When a virtual copy is created, LR doesn't prompt you for anything. It just creates one and inserts the default "Copy #" in the "Copy Name" field. I for one, would love to be prompted and offered to input a custom Copy Name. This way at least, I wouldn't have to remember to edit this field. A step further would be: when I'm asked to input the Copy Name there would be several suggestions for me to choose from, all derived from the file's attributes or from a custom template.

P.S.: If there was a plugin that could simply copy the "File Name" into the "Copy Name" field, it would save me a little bit of time. Maybe there is one.

Last edited:
Adding a prompt could be a nice feature. Be very cool if Lr was smart enough to offer up suggestions like "cropped" or "resized" or "BW."

Check out John Beardsworth's Search Replace Transfer plugin: http://photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/findreplace/ It can do a bunch of stuff, such as add text to the "copy name" in batches. And a lot more.

Also, you can view both the copy name and the filename in at least the large cells in the grid view, and there's even a choice to use filename or copy name. So you wouldn't have to have redundant info (filename) in both places if your goal is to see the copy name and original name in the grid. And you can of course design a preset for exporting with the copy name added as say a suffix to the filename.

Adding a prompt could be a nice feature. Be very cool if Lr was smart enough to offer up suggestions like "cropped" or "resized" or "BW."

Check out John Beardsworth's Search Replace Transfer plugin: http://photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/findreplace/ It can do a bunch of stuff, such as add text to the "copy name" in batches. And a lot more.

Also, you can view both the copy name and the filename in at least the large cells in the grid view, and there's even a choice to use filename or copy name. So you wouldn't have to have redundant info (filename) in both places if your goal is to see the copy name and original name in the grid. And you can of course design a preset for exporting with the copy name added as say a suffix to the filename.

Thank you.
I am familiar with the plugin, however, I personally would stay away from it as it is potentially hazardous.
Overwriting (by mistake) even a hundred perfectly good 'Copy Names' would cost me at least a couple of hours of time and 4 hours of headache.
Similar 'accidents' have happened to me in the past.

I am only interested in a plugin/feature that automatically inserts the filename into the 'Copy Name' field at the very creation of the virtual copy.

I do realized that LR plugins do not run in the background and they cannot perform any tasks unless someone explicitly invokes it. So... no big deal.

Thank you.
I am familiar with the plugin, however, I personally would stay away from it as it is potentially hazardous.
Overwriting (by mistake) even a hundred perfectly good 'Copy Names' would cost me at least a couple of hours of time and 4 hours of headache.
Similar 'accidents' have happened to me in the past.

I am only interested in a plugin/feature that automatically inserts the filename into the 'Copy Name' field at the very creation of the virtual copy.

I do realized that LR plugins do not run in the background and they cannot perform any tasks unless someone explicitly invokes it. So... no big deal.
Personally, I have found it very useful, but I realize that like any powerful tool it should be used with caution since you can do damage. But you don't have to run it on photos with existing copy names; you could simply create say 5 copies of a photo (if say you need 5 different edited versions), then run the plugin to add the filename, and you're done. Not automatic when you create the virtual copy, but then again since that info is already in the cell view most Lr users wouldn't want that since it would be redundant.

Like the other gentleman states, the "copy names" of my virtual copies are indicative of their nature. I have different codes for crops and other things. When I export virtual copies, I select the copy names to be used as the filenames. Later down the road I'm able to tell what kind of version of the photo it is, just by looking at the filename. Plus, it's super-convenient for dealing with virtual copies in Lightroom. Very often the virtual copies do not appear next to the originals or other virtual copies of the same photo, i.e. they are in different collections. So I have nothing to compare them to (visually). I find that being able to tell what kind of photo I have in front of me just by 'decoding' the 'File Name' / 'Copy Name', saves me quite a bit of time, well worth the trouble of assigning a meaningful, standardized and concise 'Copy Name' to every virtual copy.

I completely understand the logic of wanting to assign a meaningful copy name, but I'm still not following why it needs to include the filename. You can see the filename & copy name on the grid view and in the Metadata panel, and you can select an export filename of filename-copyname rather than just selecting copy name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back