Metadata argh!: Can I include EXIF date/time but exclude keywords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi.

I've looked through two big Lightroom books and Googled til my eyes bleed, and I really can't seem to figure this out:

1. I do not want my exported JPGs to contain any keywords.
2. I do want my exported JPGs to contain EXIF date/time captured info.

In the "Metadata" section of the Export dialog, I see four options. I can

Include:
1. Copyright only
2. Copyright and Contact Info only
3. All Except Camera and Camera Raw info, or
4. All Metadata

#1 and #2 both remove the EXIF timestamp I need, and #3 and #4 keep the timestamp but both will include the keywords I don't want.

(I know I could go edit each Keyword Tag individually, deselecting "Include on Export" on each one, this but would be pretty tedious an inelegant.)

Am I missing something, or is there really no way to do this in Lightroom without resorting to plugins or metadata manipulation utilities?

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,

Owen.

Hi Victoria - thanks so much for the quick reply!

I had seen mention of that plugin, and will check it out - it looks dauntingly complex.

In the meantime I discovered that Windows 10, which is what I use, has a feature that enables stripping out selectable Exif info from within the OS.

So, for now I can simply export with full metadata, then batch-remove all "tags" which is where Lightroom's keywords live.

Thanks again. I'm still very new to Lightroom, and appreciate a guru like yourself taking the time to help me out.

Owen.

It looks far more complex than it really is. There are lots of options in the dialog, but you just pick ones you want to include/exclude and save them for next time.

Another Version:
1. Select all images
2.) Right click -> make virtual copies
3.) VCs are selected -> delete all keywords in the box on the right side
4.) Export
5.) VCs are still selected -> delete

2. - 5. in total only 6 clicks

It worked in my version
Greetings from Vienna
Franz

The handling of exporting metadata is a real pain, also lacking in consistency between Lr and Ps.

This needs better options and ideally the "Export As" in Ps should be consistent with Lr.

I cannot count the number of times I have struggled with this. Thanks for the reference to the Metadata Wrangler (a good name).

The handling of exporting metadata is a real pain

Most people don't bother to wrangle their metadata, so it's an ideal functionality to handle with a plug-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back