• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LrC drag/drop rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessman

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lr Classic 11.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I uploaded my Cornwall holiday photos from Christmas/New year into Lightroom Classic. 11.1 on my 27" iMac. I backup after I've sorted them.. ie keepers and then trash unwanted photos but forgot to do this before I upgraded to Monterey from Mojave and the link between files and photos was lost but I managed to restore it using the 'find folder' feature left side. For some reason some photos from the small Cornwall folder were lost altogether. I've had to resort to getting them out of trash onto the desktop. Only half a dozen but good sky photos. When I drag one or all into Lightroom, the import page immediately throws them back out. Just in case they were hidden in the system I unticked 'Don't import suspected duplicates' to no avail. I've never had a problem doing this before and suspect it's something to do with upgrading to Monterey

Does not look like a "fault" of the computer. And probably is not caused by the upgrade of the OS, but by doing everything at the same time, without waiting for tasks to be finished.
One thing you should NOT do is empty the Trash: you have to restore the files in the Trash first, to a folder that is specialy created for this action.
Then make a backup of the the folder/files you just saved. Do'nt empty the trash.
Then restart the mac and first check that everything is still there. The files Cornwall should be there too; unless you have emptied them from the Trash before, (perhaps you can import them again from your camera?).
Now copy the recovered photos to the folders where where you want to have them (so you still fave a copy to be safe).
Do not mess around with Lightroom before everything is cleared, do not even open it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.

I noted you wrote 'copy' in itallics to emphasise the need to copy...ie not just drag/drop. I've never done that before but it's worked. I copied the photos I'd dragged onto the desktop from trash and right clicked on each one and copied it and pasted it into a folder I 'd just created and then dragged them in one block into LR , the import window came up and they've gone in. I can now move them into the appropriate folder I already have.

Out of interest. Why has copying them into a folder and then importing them worked when drag/drop off the desktop didn't ?

Re the trash. I usually just send photos I don't want into the trash and when I've finished I empty it. Shouldn't I be doing that ? Fortunately, I hadn't got round to clearing the trash but as with the CF cards,I don't do it after a download until all photos are safely in LR and, normally backed up, too.

I did keep my CF cards until all the photos were safely in LR. I then wiped the cards not expecting this to happen . As you suggested , it would have been the easiest option but it wasn't available.

Thanks, again.

I never empty my recycle bin. It's there to give me a chance to rethink my actions. Eventually, the really old stuff will fall out the bottom. How many times have we had a post from a member that deleted files he needed to keep and immediately took out the trash?

I never empty my recycle bin. It's there to give me a chance to rethink my actions. Eventually, the really old stuff will fall out the bottom. How many times have we had a post from a member that deleted files he needed to keep and immediately took out the trash?

Yes..true. Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back