• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom renaming images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen Z

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lr CC
Operating System
Hi everyone, I am new to this group and Lr. When I import images to Lr, the images are being renamed with random numbers and are completely out of order. If I check the box to sort by capture time, the will be ordered correctly, but their image numbers will be very random. Thoughts? Thank you.

There may be a problem with your camera, in the settings where you decide how you want the images numbered; I've always picked
"continuous", which keeps numbers advancing over multiple sessions, cards, and years. If that's not the problem, not sure what to say; however, once you have the images loaded into LR, select them all and put them in a Collection. At that point, you can move them around as you please, and select the ones you want to re-name-and-number (on a Mac it's "F2). Otherwise look in the menu under "Library" and you can click on Rename Photo to get to the same place.

I sounds like there is a renaming template active in your import preset. By hitting F2 you can see what renaming templates you have and you can change them there. If you have more than one template than you have to look at your import preset to find which renaming template you assigned to it.

Thank you for responding Barry. I will try your suggestions. I feel like Lightroom is the problem. There must be something I am missing. I set it up to rename my images as YYYY_MM_DD-shootname-imagenumber. NEF Lightroom does that, but gives the images numbers that do not follow any order and are not the original file numbers from the camera.
I sounds like there is a renaming template active in your import preset. By hitting F2 you can see what renaming templates you have and you can change them there. If you have more than one template than you have to look at your import preset to find which renaming template you assigned to it.
Yes, I set up the template the way I like, but when it comes to the image numbers, Lr renames the numbers in a random order. If I use the sort menu and check capture time, the images appear in order in the library, but their numbers are still wildly random and not in sequence. Thank you for answering.

Hi,

You want to use "Original number suffix" to retain the camera generated image sequence.

All instances of image number are internally generated sequences.

-louie
Just tried it and it works! You are correct Louie!
Thank you for your reply!

I had the same problem. I found my solution in the File Renaming box/menu on the right side. This is visible after you begin your Import sequence. For those that are numbered incorrectly, I selected them all and renamed them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 4.16.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 4.16.14 PM.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 200
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back