• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom external editor settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerissaW

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom classic cc
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi everyone,

I’m running the latest versions of lightroom classic cc and photoshop on a Mac (Mohave).

In the past my workflow for sending images to photoshop and then getting them back into lightroom was:

-upload raw file to lightroom, makes edits
-Click “edit in” and send the file to photoshop
-make edits in photoshop
-click save or close and my images appear back into lightroom

Now when I click on save or close a dialogue box opens and gives me a save as option, always to the original file location (on my hard drive or wherever).

Adobe have been no help, though someone in the forum suggested it has to do with the lightroom external editor settings.

I’ve been doing my original work flow for 18 months, so when adobe told me that it’s not possible to do it that way, and ceased my support session (!!) I’ve come seeking answers from here!

Thanks so much, sorry for the essay! I’d love to hear how I can restore my settings so I can easily send photos back into lightroom xo

Hi everyone,

I’m running the latest versions of lightroom classic cc and photoshop on a Mac (Mohave).

In the past my workflow for sending images to photoshop and then getting them back into lightroom was:

-upload raw file to lightroom, makes edits
-Click “edit in” and send the file to photoshop
-make edits in photoshop
-click save or close and my images appear back into lightroom

Now when I click on save or close a dialogue box opens and gives me a save as option, always to the original file location (on my hard drive or wherever).

Adobe have been no help, though someone in the forum suggested it has to do with the lightroom external editor settings.

I’ve been doing my original work flow for 18 months, so when adobe told me that it’s not possible to do it that way, and ceased my support session (!!) I’ve come seeking answers from here!

Thanks so much, sorry for the essay! I’d love to hear how I can restore my settings so I can easily send photos back into lightroom xo
There's nothing wrong with that sequence, that's the way it's supposed to work. If you are certain that you're doing "Save" and not "Save As" in Photoshop, do you get any error message before the "Save As" dialog appears? And is Lightroom still active when you do that "Save"?

In the External Editor settings of the preferences, in which format did you ask LR to pass the image to Photoshop : TIFF or PSD? If the latest, did check "Maximize compatibility" whan saving in PS?
Also, is the "Stack with original" option set ?

There's nothing wrong with that sequence, that's the way it's supposed to work. If you are certain that you're doing "Save" and not "Save As" in Photoshop, do you get any error message before the "Save As" dialog appears? And is Lightroom still active when you do that "Save"?

Yep, definitely save - but it’s like I’ve hit save as. No error messages. Yep lightroom is still active

In the External Editor settings of the preferences, in which format did you ask LR to pass the image to Photoshop : TIFF or PSD? If the latest, did check "Maximize compatibility" whan saving in PS?
Also, is the "Stack with original" option set ?

It was going over as a tiff. I’d originally not made changes to these settings, but every change I’ve made to them now results in the same dialogue box opening. I’ve tried sending them as psd but get the same result. I’ll try your suggestions, thank you

Attachments

• FD5A5299-9DCC-4F9B-B99D-A662A7B79E6D.jpeg
    FD5A5299-9DCC-4F9B-B99D-A662A7B79E6D.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 185
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back