Lightroom crashing and can't find reason - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkfnoguchi

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hello, everyone. First time I'm posting in the forum, so please let me know if I need to share more information about my case. I need help because my lightroom started crashing and I don't know what to do, I'm quite desperate!

I have Lightroom 6.14 installed in my Macbook (macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, 15-inch Mid 2012 model, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 500gb solid state drive, 16GB ram) and I have my photos in a 4TB external hard drive because my laptop hard drive does not have enough space. I have around 40k photos taking ~500GB. I also use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a backup of that hard drive into another 4GB hard drive. I only keep the catalog file and the preview file in my laptop hard drive.

My Lightroom has rarely crashed since many years ago when I started using it, until today when I was importing some photos from my computer HD into the 4TB hard drive and it crashed with the message "Lightroom quit unexpectedly" (I can share the error file log if this helps) Those were photos I transferred from my phone to the computer (using the mac Photos app) and then was transferring from the computer to the 4TB HD through Lightroom using the Import feature. After crashing for the first time, now it crashes constantly, sometimes just after the software starts, sometimes after some time using.

I notice that if I disconnect the 4TB hard drive and open Lightroom (it loses track of the photos because the HD is disconnected, but I still can see the previews), it does not crash at all. I also noticed that if I click on "find missing folder" and point it to the 4TB Backup HDD, the same problems with crashing happens. I thought it could be a physical damage of the main 4TB HD but because it happens with the backup HD, I imagine it's not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is happening and how I could solve the problem? I thought about remaking the catalog from zero, but then I lose my collections and all the metadata from the photos (stars, flags, keywords, etc), which would be a disaster. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Could you try importing images from another USB device - either a HDD or a USB flash drive? Does the same issue occur?

In Finder, do you see the external HDDs?

I am thinking this could be a hardware issue related to your USB ports.

The log file might help.

I see both external hard drives in Finder. The crash does not actually happen during imports, it's happening basically at random times now, I am not sure what causes it. I may be just navigating between collections looking at photos and suddenly it will crash. Then when I try to reopen Lightroom, it crashes almost immediately after it starts. If I reboot the computer, usually I can open Lightroom and keep it opened for a little longer before crashing (sometimes I was even able to import photos before it crashed again).

I am attaching the log file in txt here.

For the sake of testing, I recreated a new catalog using all the photos on the 4TB HD. I have opened several photos, went around folders, and not crash. Like I mentioned, this is not a good solution because I lose all collections and metadata, but leads me to believe that something might be wrong with the catalog. If it was with the HD or the USB, I imagine that the recreated catalog would also suffer from the same problem.

Attachments

• Error log.txt
    135.9 KB · Views: 201
Have you tried File | Optimize catalog?

Sorry for the delay.

SIGSEGV indicates that the program (in thread 27) tried to access some memory not allocated to it by the operating system. Why it did that is hard to determine!

If you had a HDD I'd suspect a bad sector, but with SDD not so sure.

Did you try to optimise catalog? If that doesn't work, I'd suggest:
1) Launch Disk Utility and run First Aid on your main drive (usually Macintosh HD) and your external image store and backup drives in case there is a problem there
2) Re-install Lr
3) See if the problem goes away under a new user account.

One more thing: create a new catalog, then File | Import from another catalog and import your old catalog into the new one. Is the newly created catalog stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back