• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Lightroom Classic CC 9.3 - Green tint to images

Status
Not open for further replies.

d200_4me

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've never seen this before. After Lightroom updated to 9.3 (LR Classic CC, the desktop version of LR), my previously imported Nikon Z7 raw files have a green tint to them if I change the existing Camera Matching profile to the new 'v2' version that came with the update.

Example below. First is the previously imported raw file that still has the original 'Camera Standard' camera matching profile applied. Color is fine.

The next photo down is the LR CC version 9.3 with the new 'Camera Standard v2' profile applied and now it has a bad green tint.

I verified it's not accidentally changing the white balance or tint for some reason. I don't know why it's doing this. If I did pick that new profile, then I'd be stuck with the tint and have to work hard to get rid of it. Basically, ruining all my previous work.

I confirmed any NEW Z7 raw file I import with this new version of LR is fine. No green tint with the Camera Standard v2 camera matching profile.

Oh and the Adobe profiles have the green tint also. Like 'Adobe Color', Adobe Landscape, etc.

Any ideas?

Using the original 'Camera Standard' profile:
i-vrQb58j-X2.jpg

Using the new 'Camera Standard v2' profile:
i-FkTmNZz-X2.jpg

I seem to recall al green tinge in Lightroom for an earlier Nikon camera. I do not recall the cause or the resolution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A longshot: Try doing Preferences > Performance > Camera Raw Cache Settings > Purge Cache.

I just tried that and restarted LR. Same problem. Even the Adobe Color and Adobe Landscape has the green tint and even in the preview on the profile browser. For some reason this doesn't happen for any NEW photos I import (raw) from the Z7. It's only my existing Z7 raw files. I checked older images from a D600, D700 and some other Nikon cameras that have a camera matching profile in LR Above v1 (like v2 for the D600 and v4 for the D700) and those don't have the green tint. Maybe it's a bug. Not sure. I did post this in the Adobe forums over a week ago and got no response.

Had you adjusted Tint on the Z 7 photos imported prior to 9.3? Had you done other edits on them?

The v1 profiles for both the Z 7 and Z 6 had magenta casts, which is why Adobe introduced v2 profiles. So the v2 profile would have a shift in green tint compared to the v1 profile. If prior to 9.3 you had adjusted Tint to remove the magenta cast, then applying the v2 profile (and retaining the same Tint setting) would yield a green cast (I think).

Had you adjusted Tint on the Z 7 photos imported prior to 9.3? Had you done other edits on them?

The v1 profiles for both the Z 7 and Z 6 had magenta casts, which is why Adobe introduced v2 profiles. So the v2 profile would have a shift in green tint compared to the v1 profile. If prior to 9.3 you had adjusted Tint to remove the magenta cast, then applying the v2 profile (and retaining the same Tint setting) would yield a green cast (I think).

I checked and all the settings in the Calibration area are at 0. I normally don't mess with those settings. I just use the Temp and Tint settings in the white balance area. Those are good ideas for checking those things, so thanks for the input.

I just use the Temp and Tint settings in the white balance area.
Right, that's what I was referring to. If prior to 9.3 you had adjusted Tint by -10 to compensate for a magenta cast in the v1 profile, then when you applied the v2 profile while retaining that value of Tint, there could be a green cast.

Right, that's what I was referring to. If prior to 9.3 you had adjusted Tint by -10 to compensate for a magenta cast in the v1 profile, then when you applied the v2 profile while retaining that value of Tint, there could be a green cast.

Actually I think you're on the right track. I was just looking at a preset I made in the past and I normally use that as my default for the Z7 files when importing (Edit > Preferences > Raw Defaults). If I hover over my preset I do see the old Z7 files change to have a green tint. I may have accidentally updated that preset and had white balance selected (which I wouldn't normally do for obvious reasons). Anyway, I played around with it and deleted the old preset and created a new one and then set that as the default for raw files from the Z7...but my old Z7 files still get the green tint if I try to apply the new v2 profiles to them. I'll play around with it more later and if I figure out how this is still happening I'll post the answer here, but for now at least I know what's going on (but still don't completely understand why it's happening) and I'll just forget about it since I don't need to touch my older files much and if I do, I know I need to adjust the tint a little to fix it. Still not sure why it doesn't affect any new files I import using the same raw default.

deleted the old preset and created a new one and then set that as the default for raw files from the Z7...but my old Z7 files still get the green tint if I try to apply the new v2 profiles to them.
Note that you'd have to explicitly apply the new default to the old photos by clicking Reset for the new default to take effect on them.

I did a quick test with two copies of a sample Z 7 raw. I imported them into LR 8.2.1 and made sure the profile was Camera Standard (v1). On one copy, I used the white balance eyedropper to auto-correct the white balance, changing Tint from -5 to -16. I saved the settings for both photos to their .xmp sidecars.

Then I imported both photos into LR 9.3. When I changed their profiles to Camera Standard v2, the one with Tint = -16 acquired a distinct green cast. Here are the v1 and v2 versions of that photo, along with a difference of the two computed in Photoshop showing the large difference in green pixel values:

DSC_0871.jpg

DSC_0871.jpg
diff.jpg

Note that you'd have to explicitly apply the new default to the old photos by clicking Reset for the new default to take effect on them.

Ok. Just noticed that. It’s just a shame that even though I fixed the old preset and reapplied it is the default for the Z7 raw files, if the only thing I want to do is update the camera matching profile version to the new v2, it has the green tent again and if I use the reset option like you mentioned, it will apply the new profile without the tint but then I lose all my other edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back