Lightroom 5.71 crashing after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortificatio

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I am struggling with lightroom reporting it has to quit. This usually happens after I switch to the develop module. I have standard previews and it sometimes takes some time to get the image up in the develop module or program bails out at this time. If the image loads in develop module, the tools to the right usually stay dim. If they are activated, as soon as I try to select a tool LR 5.71 bails. I saw the earlier post about temp files and storage size. This problem just seemed to start about a week ago, before that everything OK but may have been the upgrade to 5.71--wondering if it requires more temp file headroom. I am working off of a smaller SSD drive of 128G and only have between 40 and 50G of free space. Adobe Cloud Desktop will only allow me to download onto C:. I have done OS updates, LR updates, Graphic card driver updates, Ditched catalog and built a new one, no changes. I have not checked prefs or permissions yet but want to know what you thinks so far about the drive space?

Mortificatio​

Hi Mortifactio, welcome to the forum! What are your computer specs?

My Specs.

Hi Mortifactio, welcome to the forum! What are your computer specs?

AMD 8 core at 4+gigaherz with 16 gigs of ram on a gigabyte board. Running 128gig SSD for system and Lightroom and sundries with 75g used and about 50g unused. I have three other drives with all photos on a 1t drive, backed up to a NAS with two 2T mirrored drives with offsite backup. Catalog is on C: with Lightroom; and all picures, about 9600 of them are on the P: drive. I also run some applications on my E: spinning 1T, I also have a smaller SSD I use for a scratch for photoshop.

As and addendum to the above I have a built in ATI chip on my cpu and I also use as my primary monitor(s) hookup an nvidial GTX 630 or 650, I have not looked lately.

Hmmm, you're not low on power then! That much free space should be fine.

Preferences and presets would be my next port of call. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd try a clean user account.

Tried the above and got stuck in new admin account openning lightroom calatog error

Hmmm, you're not low on power then! That much free space should be fine.

Preferences and presets would be my next port of call. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd try a clean user account.

I tried all of the above and came up with the following in my new user account while trying to begin lightroom and select catalog in users pictures.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 604
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Try clicking the "Choose a Different Catalog" button. In the ensuing dialog box, navigate to where you have your catalog. When you find it, choose it and see what happens.

Dave.

Dear helpful,

I have spent three or four days off and on trying these and other problem solutions. I was able to run Lightroom in Safe Mode just fine but my efforts in progress always seemed to be met by deeply lurking viral elements I could not extract or remove. I tried many ways to solve that problem by running AV programs, including Malware Bytes in safe mode and all it did was get me back to being unable to access lightroom. Another issue lurking was an ever shrinking 128g main SSD drive. I am awaiting a new 256g ssd Samsung 850 and will fresh install Windows 8.1 pro and begin afresh. My plan is to keep it simpler than I have before. I love experimenting with software and such but the more I do the more it is difficult to keep creepy crawlers out of my domain. My plan is to use the 256G ssd drive as my main drive for all programs, use the 128g drive as a scratch for photoshop, and keep photos on a 1t internal drive and point lightroom to it while having a mirrored array with backup for this and main access to my other library files on my Iomega/Lenovo desktop NAS. Over the last two years this was a multi-purpose machine that I did a graduate degree on and all my personal stuff. Maybe I should just do all that stuff on my laptop and dedicate this machine just for photography. Any and all comments about my up and coming install are welcome. Thanks to all those who tried to help. I just thought it out and went for the larger drive, fresh install direction. Thanks

Markl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back