Library / Develop Views Differ

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizzlingbadger

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have just noticed something odd this morning with a TIF image in LR.

I right clicked the original dng file and selected edit in PS CS4. I made some changes and saved the file. Then I adjusted the image again slightly in LR.

It looks quite different in the Library compared to the develop Module. I re-rendered 1:1 previews but it still looks different. The Library view is much lighter. I'm presuming there is a logical answer to this like Library is showing an embedded TIF preview maybe ? The TIF was flattened in PS before saving.

Exporting a jpg matches the 'library' which is annoying as would like the darker 'develop' image.

I have attached snaps of them...

Even more strange behaviour....

I adjusted the black level in the Develop Module and then clicked back on the Library Module and now the situation is reversed. The Library Module now displays a very dark version of the file.

This is quite worrying as I'm planning to use PS CS4 & TIF's quite a bit and it will be impossible to judge the images if they look different in the Modules.

The Print & Web modules and Exports seem to match the Library which only makes it worse as Develop is where you actually modify the image. If it' going to look different eveywhere else in LR that's not much use :cry:

All my DNG's seem to be fine.

Appears to be related to zoom.

A zoom of 1:2 looks very different from a zoom of FILL despite them being very similar in ratio.

Further testing and it would appear this is not LR related. PS CS4 and Aperture all have the same issue. I think it is related to the type of noise I have added to the image. The synthetic noise has a very even distribution and the algorithms used to render the image at smaller sizes are probably removing more of the noise pixels at certain zoom levels. As these 'noisy' pixels are white the image looks darker and more saturated when zoomed out.

Here's the image I was playing with for my kids.... 'Mr Jakes' is the nick-name for my youngest son who is always asking if he can watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre DVD that's in our collection. He has few years to go get before he will get the chance :D

Nice bit of investigation Nik.

Here's the image I was playing with for my kids.... 'Mr Jakes' is the nick-name for my youngest son who is always asking if he can watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre DVD that's in our collection. He has few years to go get before he will get the chance :D

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Will I read about that in the paper???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back