• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keyword confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedo

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Like many others I embarked on a keyword re-organisation project during lockdown. I've run into an "issue" I can't seem to fathom out and I'm a bit confused. You can see my hierarchy in the screenshot below.

What I'd like to do is isolate the 279 files listed against the Art keyword. When I click on the small arrow to the right of the Art keyword it shows me almost 3,500 in grid view. I did expect this. However, what I've failed to do is isolate just the 279 photos. I tried using the library filter and collections to no avail. I could go through the photos one by one and remove the Art keyword but I'm reluctant to do this for obvious reasons. I'm clearly missing a trick somewhere. How do I isolate just the 279 photos?

Lightroom Screenshot.jpg

With All Photographs as the selected source, use the Library Filter and set the first column to Keywords. At the right-hand end of the Keywords title bar is a small icon....click on that to reveal a small menu. You will see that you have two View options: Hierarchical (selected by default) and Flat. Select the Flat option and that will change the view in the filter to show your keywords in a flat structure, meaning that when you locate "Art" in the list you will see the 279 photo count, and when you click on the entry the grid will populate only with those 279 images.

Hi Jim. That did the trick. Thanks very much for your help. I have to say, not a particularly discoverable feature. As Lightroom has evolved and become more feature rich I can only start to imagine the challenges faced by the UI team.

I've been a Lightroom user for a number of years and this has taught me that I need to go and click on stuff I've never clicked on before. Who knows what I might discover :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back