• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How to add umlaut, other accent marks, in book text

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvelynTovar

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hello, I'm working on a photo book and would like to add umlauts and accent marks on German and French words as appropriate. How do I do that? Thank you!
Evelyn

Because you are using a Mac, you can use the Mac standard methods of entering accented characters:
Enter characters with accent marks on Mac (Apple)

I just tried it in the Book module and it works, but in a weird way. For some reason the accent menu pops up some distance away from the text, which is strange. But if you select the accent character from the menu, it does enter it properly.

Because you are using a Mac, you can use the Mac standard methods of entering accented characters:
Enter characters with accent marks on Mac (Apple)

I just tried it in the Book module and it works, but in a weird way. For some reason the accent menu pops up some distance away from the text, which is strange. But if you select the accent character from the menu, it does enter it properly.
Thanks very much. It works! I had resorted to adding the marks in a Pages document and cutting and pasting, but it never occurred to me to just hold down the key in LR to make the options appear.

For Windows users-
The [ALT] code shortcuts work in programs like MS-Word, but NOT in the Book module - as Text.
https://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/accents-alt-codes.phpA work-around is to open the 'Character Map' (type "Character Map" on the Start screen), then select & copy characters from the selected font.
ScreenShot256.jpg

ScreenShot253.jpg

it never occurred to me to just hold down the key in LR to make the options appear.
It's kind of a newer thing. Mac users used to have to remember which Option key shortcut to use to get a specific character, or to use the Keyboard Viewer which is similar to the Windows Character Map.

Apple started using the "hold down a key to see all the diacritical marks" shortcut in iOS, and eventually brought it over to the Mac.

it never occurred to me to just hold down the key in LR to make the options appear.
You would think such a simple elegant solution would work it's way over to Microsoft too. One word that I use more often that needs an accent mark is Sauté. I can't tell you the number of times I have contrived obtuse methods to keep from repeatedly going to the "Emoji and Symbols" submenu if the Edit menu. Another is the Degree symbol ˚ {Cntl}{k}. Which has to be memorized because it isn't an accented letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back