Staff member
Administrator
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I was thinking about Joerg's thread, about books and tutorials on Lightroom, and I thought it might make an interesting continued discussion.

So how do you like to learn? Read a book of tutorials and recipes cover to cover? Skip around a book to find the information you want? Dive right in and figure it out when it goes wrong? Do you maybe prefer videos? 1:1 conversation with an experienced user? Seminars?

For me the key word is practice. Like sports( rugby, cricket, soccer, basketball, etc), you can read all the books ,watch all the videos, attend seminars, etc. You cannot learn without playing the game.
With Lightroom, you will not learn until you sit there and start working on those images. If you make a mistake, you start over. By using books, forums, etc, these are tools to help with the learning process by finding out faster what the problem is and how to overcome it.
Practice, practice, practice- the more you do it- the faster you will become and the knowledgeable you will be. Maybe in ten years, I can become a Lightroom Guru.

Bob- the slide shooter at heart

Victoria,

I tend to like a combination of the above. At certain points in my learning process, I will use almost all of the above. Let me know if you need me to be more situation specific.

--Ken

I'm a sucker for video tutorials. Mostly from NAPP and their employees. I've signed up for a year of Kelby Training but I still haven't looked at it for nearly two months :( I HAVE bought several Lightroom books, but like the online training, I have yet to crack either of them open after several months. I should probably devote less time to my other hobbies for a while ;)

It would be nice to be able to select more than one option. That's how it works with most things isn't it? There isn't one way which is perfect. Reading, viewing, experiencing and learning from various sources is what works best for me. So I would like to have also chosen: books, 1:1, video, dive right in, forums.

I would like to select more than one option as well. I like online and video tutorials, as well as books.

Lucky

I like to read to get details. Video tutorials are good for seeing Lightroom used. I would like 1 on 1 training if I knew someone else using Lightroom. And, of course, my favorite, trial and error.

what is a 1:1 tutorial?

the video tutorial are the best ,because who is not english/american can find them very easy to understand;)

Interesting split so far!

I never expected video tutorials to be so popular - I always run of time and patience to watch them (for other new software).

I selected video tutorials as well. I especially like the ones from lynda.com and lightroomkillertips.com, but I could have also voted for books (reading Martin Evenings LR2 book at the moment) and websites/forums as this is a great place to get answers to my questions.

DJdeRidder;2947' said:
I selected video tutorials as well. I especially like the ones from lynda.com and lightroomkillertips.com, but I could have also voted for books (reading Martin Evenings LR2 book at the moment) and websites/forums as this is a great place to get answers to my questions.
Slightly OT, but is there a way to do multi-choice polls. That would be great for topics like this and some others we've had.

Don

I was wondering that too Don.

I like a variety of training material, video is probably my favourite , followed by 1:1 if I can afford it, then book.

I like to have at least one book around and have a folder of LR favorites that I regularly browse for nuggets of information.

Initially video tutorials backed up by books.
The Adobe TV ones I find very good.
I have been teaching a mate of mine Lightroom as well and I've found that really useful.

We all learn differently

As I'm sure you know, we all learn differently. Some learn by doing, some learn by watching, some learn by reading...

I would check multiple boxes if I could too. I learn mostly by doing and experimenting -- answering questions on this forum and others teaches me a lot, because I just go ahead and try things.

I also like to learn from what others have discovered. Forums and interactive seminars work well for me, where I can learn from other people's successes and mistakes.

Books and videos, for me, are rarely on topic or paced right for my needs at that particular time. There are exceptions, if the book or video is well produced and happens to say just what I need to hear at that time, in language and pacing that work for my brain. Sometimes you get lucky.

Mark Sirota;2964' said:
Books and videos, for me, are rarely on topic or paced right for my needs at that particular time. There are exceptions, if the book or video is well produced and happens to say just what I need to hear at that time, in language and pacing that work for my brain. Sometimes you get lucky.

I usually find videos to be helpful in two situations. First, they are great for a short general overview of a product. These videos should be kept short and sweet.

The second type of video that I find helpful is one that is very specific, and that explains in detail how to accomplish a discrete task. This type of video is a surrogate for 1:1 tutoring, and I expect to watch an instructor show how to do the task, and talk about issues related to accomplishing that task.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back