• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Editing File in PS when using LR Classic on one Computer and LR Cloudy on a Second Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkawoods

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.1 [ 201911291132-64cf80b4 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I primarily use LR Classic on a MacBook Pro but I also use LR Cloudy on a smaller MacBook. I have PS on both computers. I keep the main copy of my files on the MacBook Pro and on an EHD, then sync a portion of them to the Adobe cloud so they're accessible in LR on the MacBook and my iPad. It's my understanding that the full resolution files are stored with LR Classic on the MB Pro, and what gets uploaded to the cloud are smaller versions of those files. Which are supposed to be fine for most editing, correct? The edits will then sync back to the main files on my MB Pro. But I've been wondering what happens if I take a file from LR on the MacBook into PS to do some editing, which ends up creating a TIFF file that is then synced back to the cloud. Does that now become the full-size file for that version of the photo when it syncs back to Classic? Is there a recommended workflow for this scenario?

My OS is Catalina on both computers.

If you send a file from Lightroom (cloud) to Photoshop, then it will become a smart preview sized tiff in Photoshop. As this is a new file, it won’t magically turn into a full sized tiff when downloaded into Classic.

If you send a file from Lightroom (cloud) to Photoshop, then it will become a smart preview sized tiff in Photoshop. As this is a new file, it won’t magically turn into a full sized tiff when downloaded into Classic.
Thanks, I figured as much. I sure wish there was an option to upload and download full-sized files in both Photoshop and Classic.

There is a very new option - in PS, when you first open the file, save it as a Photoshop Cloud file. This puts it in Adobe's cloud, using your cloud space allocation, but the full resolution file is then available in all Photoshop environments.

So you would be able to edit the file in PS iPad or on your other computer by opening it from the Cloud documents panel.

On the other hand, this is new and the Photoshop Cloud file isn't shown in any LR apps. So I find this most useful when I have just one or two files that I am working on, and need to switch between laptop and desktop. When I'm finished with them, I'll save the files as standard Photoshop files, get them in LR, and delete the Photoshop Cloud files. This area is worth playing with. I'd expect Adobe to refine the workflow over the next year or two.

Another alternative is to simply save the TIF/PSD to a Dropbox-like folder, such as the CC folder which you'll see in Finder/Explorer.

There is a very new option - in PS, when you first open the file, save it as a Photoshop Cloud file. This puts it in Adobe's cloud, using your cloud space allocation, but the full resolution file is then available in all Photoshop environments.

So you would be able to edit the file in PS iPad or on your other computer by opening it from the Cloud documents panel.

On the other hand, this is new and the Photoshop Cloud file isn't shown in any LR apps. So I find this most useful when I have just one or two files that I am working on, and need to switch between laptop and desktop. When I'm finished with them, I'll save the files as standard Photoshop files, get them in LR, and delete the Photoshop Cloud files. This area is worth playing with. I'd expect Adobe to refine the workflow over the next year or two.

Another alternative is to simply save the TIF/PSD to a Dropbox-like folder, such as the CC folder which you'll see in Finder/Explorer.
John, this is so useful, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back