corrupt main catalogue and backup-unable to repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hali MacLaren

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hello I have the latest version of Lightroom CC 2015.9, updated this morning.. Sometimes my Macbook Pro shuts off when using lightroom? maybe it gets too hot? I thought I turned off this feature months ago and I try to keep the laptop on a desk where it can air out as I work.. It happened again today for the first time in a while and Lightroom needed to close since I work off an external hard drive. it would not backup saying there was not enough room on the disk.. and I tried multiple disks.. upon reopening the catalogue error message said it needed to close and check the integrity. it then said it was corrupt and needed repair. then it said it could not repair and to contact support.. the backup is also doing the same thing. Please tell me how to fix this issue. I had a backup from yesterday but I don't want to loose all my edits from today!

Please tell me how to fix this issue. I had a backup from yesterday but I don't want to loose all my edits from today!
Welcome to the forum. Probably the best (fastest) answer is to use the last good backup and reedit the images that were changed since that backup. A corrupt catalog file is least likely to get repaired by the one or two people knowledgable that might take the time to deconstruct the catalog database. If you do get some one that is willing to work on the corrupt catalog, the time involved by them is probably longer than if you use your last good backup and redo the missing edits.

It's for that reason that I'll even purposely restart LR after ANY amount of work I'd rather not lose. (LR being set to backup at every exit - skipping if no changes.)

There's even a script to make it so you don't have to babysit the restart process. When you go to the bathroom or go to make that coffee - select it, choose 'back up' and walk away. By the time you get back LR will be ready and waiting. Instructions and script are here: Even Lightroom Needs a Power Nap Every Now and Then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back